JKA extra maps by Raven

Jango40

^ in that case what is needed is a community launcher that pushes standard canonical mods and makes it super easy to download them, and then try to get that popular. Making each and every map popular is a lot harder, and on top of that getting OJK and JA++ more attention, it's all too spread out. Need centralization. The more servers running up to date things with clear instructions about how to get your files the same so you can join, the more awareness all these things will get.

Boothand, Omicron and Onysfx like this

^ in that case what is needed is a community launcher that pushes standard canonical mods and makes it super easy to download them, and then try to get that popular. Making each and every map popular is a lot harder, and on top of that getting OJK and JA++ more attention, it's all too spread out. Need centralization. The more servers running up to date things with clear instructions about how to get your files the same so you can join, the more awareness all these things will get.

This is a pretty good idea. But it should download + install them as well. My only concern is that it then becomes a bit of a challenge to assemble the mods in a unified fashion, and also determine the fs_game for each mod.

You could also use such a system to distribute skins/maps as well. All players would ever need is the launcher, and even beginners or people on Steam could use it.

Yeah, OpenJK isn't going to re-release the entire game so no real assets are going to be released with it, just the engine I would imagine so no point in including maps.

They are good maps though.

I like the launcher idea, it could be included with OJK and replace the original launcher. I'm thinking of something similar to what SWG had in a way with a progress bar at the bottom and such. You would just have to configure it upon installing OJK so that it knows where the base folder is to properly install each PK3.

Omicron likes this