Negative light angle

it's like func_door angle -1 or -2 orient the entity on top or bottom. a light with -2 i think a spot light by bottom to top, if it's linked to a info_null. angle -1 make a light by top to botton. good for ceiling lamps. -2 i think can be used for light placed under the floor, that enlight ground by grates and a lower level. :)

Targeting a light at an info_null is easily misunderstood to have an affect on the 'distance' of the light. In actual fact, it doesn't, it only switches the light from 360 cone to a more focused cone. The distance is a combination of light strength, light scale, falloff type, and is focused by radius.

For e.g. if I want to have a light for a streetlamp, I would probably use a high light value but a lower scale (because these lights tend to cast very far but not actually very bright), and I would set the radius quite large since they use reflectors and such inside the lamp to cover a broad range.

light/8000

scale/0.25

radius/2000

Untested values, but I think that's probably pretty close. And of course, color. Now just target it at an info_null or use angles, but I find it's easier to just use the info_null - it gives you an obvious visual cue that the light is a spotlight, in the editor, and it's kind of impossible to mess up the angles that way. 

Note radius is only used for lights with a target/angles.

Boothand likes this