Sabermode

uktw3pz5.jpg

Yo, I'm currently working on a (multiplayer-)project called sabermode.

The goal of this project is to make a standalone game for saber fighting (means no other weapons and no force-powers except for force-jump) with slight changes in the movement/combat-mechanics making the fights a bit faster and giving the player a bit more control. I think the sabersystem in Jedi Academy is unique and it would be great to have that free to play for everyone without having to purchase Jedi Academy.

I'm in a really early stage right now and most of the work will be to replace all the assets that are used in the game (at least I don't have to replace all these weapons...phew!).

Since I'm actually quite busy in real life it will probably take some time until I'm finished but one of the reasons to post this here on the forums was to motivate me so let's see if that works B) .

It would be nice if someone here would like to help me and contribute on this project as it will be a sh*tload of work doing it all alone. Also any kind of advices or suggestions are appreciated.

h643 likes this

I think some guys affiliated with the OpenJK project were working on something similar (Hugo and his gang), but I'm not sure how far they got. I'm curious as to what changes to the gameplay you are intending to make though - do you, for example, plan to fix some of the more glaring issues like blue being useless?

Raz0r likes this

@@AshuraDX didn't know about this one heh

@@Ping I know about compJA but they have a different goal and I think it won't hurt if there are two competitive-standalone projects. Also yea, one of the goals is the balancing, another one is to make people stop running. In Quake you can run but most of the time it doesn't make much sense. I want to achieve something similar in Jedi Academy (even though it might be hard without ranged weapons and pickups). I don't want to change too much of the gameplay to not piss off all the competitive players. One of the changes implemented so far is that you can roll when you already started your attack (in the windup). Also I've made changes to the air-acceleration and you can start an attack while you're already in a wallrun (and a couple of other minor changes). This doesn't sound like much but it gives you noticeable more control.

Asgarath83 likes this

I also work on something like this sort of, i have maked a Saber System for my own OpenJK version. i have a cool block box in it and a block button there activated when a make a saber swing or when a incoming attack comes in to the player so he can defend himself, i have saber damage scale also there can be edit in the server.cfg, got trueview, Movie Saber types of the blade, rgb sabers and sfx sabers, Saber block lightning, and my awesome hud :D . my main goal for this mod was to keep the old ways of JKA combat like jump around do cool moves combos and still have mblock as a sec defence thing and it works really good, i don't want any sort of Block point in this so i keep that out from the code :) if you want to have a look at this afinity you can pm me and come on my server and try it out, then i'll send you the client files for it :)

and if you like you can always take a look at the code i have done some edit in to :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer!

I'm currently recreating assets which is not as much work as I thought but still a lot of work (and I still have no clue what I'm going to do with the animations :P)

Also it's crazy how many files the game loads which it actually doesn't need at that moment.

But I finally managed to load the game with only custom files (except for animations, means I deleted the base assets and replaced those files that I need for the game to load, I have one playermodel, one map, one sabermodel). The playermodel that I use atm is not made by me though (and I didn't ask for permissions yet, which I will obviously do before I release anything :P). And obviously most of the files are placeholders atm.

sabermode.jpg

therfiles likes this
  • 4 months later...