AngelModder - Darth Vader

Hey guys this is my first post on here so I figured I would make a splash. I'm a mapper and skinner. I've been around since the days of JKO and I've been modding since I cant remember. Well now that I've got the introductory out of the way. Here is is Darth Vader WIP. 

The model is Toshi's, and I recently came by the model. after looking it over and seeing how well ti was made and the many options is had available I felt it was time to give it a skin worth the model. Now this is not finished yet, for starters I still need to redo the chest plate and shoulder pads, as well as some other details.
On the note of things, I have fixed many problems that the original skin had (aside from resolution and overall detail) I even went so far as to texture the back of the legs and calves, there no longer black. While most were not bothered by this, I find such lack of detail and work completely unacceptable.
There will be more changes so if you note any thing that's constructive pleas let me know. To clarify on this the first thing many will notice is the darkness of the robes and armor, this came out quiet well in game with a correct specular map.
Allot of people for the wrong reasons make there specular maps black and white, this is a false trick. In real life lighting/specular effects contrast and push the colors of the items the light is hitting.  
I also am atm working on the mask a bit more and will be redoing the helmet texture.
I also have added new caps in certain area's. Now when you cut off his hands arms or legs, theirs different caps for each area. Looking more like wires and mech then w/e Raven gave us in base... :/
There will be several versions for this reskin so here's the list before we get to showing you the pictures.

1 : Vader Full - This is just normal Basic Darth Vader 

2 : Vader No Helmet 1 -  Basic Darth Vader without the Helmet, still wearing the mask

3 : Vader No Helmet 2 - Basic Darth Vader without the helmet, Still wearing mask but the lenses are similar to episode 4 (slight reddish tent) I have also made them slightly transparent allowing you to see his eyes glowing behind the mask.

4 : Vader Full 2 - This is normal Basic Vader but with the semi transparent lenses.

5 : Vader Battle Ready 1 - This is the same as Vader Full 2 but he is not wearing his cape. (Thankfully Toshi modeled out the front and back of the chest plate so it looks awesome.)

6 : Vader Battle Ready 2 - This is the same as Vader battle ready one but the lenses on the mask are not transparent.

7 : Immolated Vader - This is Darth Vader as seen in episode 3 without the mask and helmet

9 : Immolated Vader battle ready - This is the same as Immolated Vader but without the cape. (Personally my favorite thus far).

10 : ESB Vader - This is Darth Vader as seen in episode 6 (pale face and only the mask on)

11 : Dark Father - This is Darth Vader as seen at the end of episode 6 without the mask and helmet  (WIP - Screenies will come of this soon)

12 Darth Father battle ready - This is the same as Dark Father but without the cape as well (Wip - Screenies will come of this soon)

12 TFU Vader -  Darth Vader as seen in the force unleashed beaten up and half dead. (WIP - Screenies will come of this soon)

Also note one of these pictures is from yesterday before I added the details on the back and sides of the breather. 

vader5.jpg

Vader1.jpg

vader3.png

vader2.jpg

vader6.jpg

vader7.jpg

vader8.jpg

shot0226.jpg

The last pic is from yesterday... Theirs been some changes to the body and head since then... But this gets the point across

Any ways I hope you all like it... Leave your comments below and thank you for your opinions and time. 

Thank you for your time.

AngelModder 

DT., Onysfx, negru_tudor and 5 others like this

Yes thank you all ^^... I am working on adding muscle definition atm as well as the chest plate, the chest box, and helmet... so next update should show vast improvement over the original. In fact I'll make point and do a side by side of before and after lol. I love before and after peaces.

Circa likes this

When I first saw it, I thought it was expertly photosourced based on the modview pictures but the ingame screenshot looks pretty fantastic, especially the eye glow.  The only thing that bothers me is the shadows, but given the lighting on this game its understandable.

Is it just me or does regular vader with helmet on look a little too clean?  I think he ought to feel a little more gritty.

Vader's helmet is pretty damn shiney with the exception of IV which had a dull plastic look, and towards the end of VI where the helmet is a bit scratched up from the duel with Luke.  If he plans on doing a "worn" version it makes sense to do the "clean" one first.

AngelModder likes this

When I first saw it, I thought it was expertly photosourced based on the modview pictures but the ingame screenshot looks pretty fantastic, especially the eye glow.  The only thing that bothers me is the shadows, but given the lighting on this game its understandable.

Vader's helmet is pretty damn shiney with the exception of IV which had a dull plastic look, and towards the end of VI where the helmet is a bit scratched up from the duel with Luke.  If he plans on doing a "worn" version it makes sense to do the "clean" one first.

Your absolutely right!

shot0255.jpg

shot0256.jpg

Please note the specular is only this intense under the right lighting and animations. This also is not the finished product merely a test to see if it was gonna be a working idea.

Updates -

1 : I currently added some muscle tone to his arms using a specular map and some light shadowing, I am currently working on giving the mesh suite that wrinkled feel to the arms and legs. I will probably get a bit more detailed with the specular maps for the legs and arms. But even thus far today in game it looked really good. 

2 : I also will be replacing the helmet texture tonight as well as his chest plate.

3 : Tested the new caps for his arms and legs, they turned out pretty good. Definitely adds a new level of detail when you are in a duel and lose.

4 : I am currently going to see if the animsounds.cfg will allow me to replace the footsteps sound with a footsteps + him breathing sound. I dont know if this will work as I've never really messed with this file in the past.

5 : Going to be creating a template soon of what the team skins will look like, as well as what I call the guilded Vader (Vader with some fancy touches gold and silver) that will be mostly for myself when having clan ceremonies but others may like it as well. So on that note I wont refuse putting it in the pack. 

6 : Did some research last night and started grabbing texture sources for the mechanical left arm and left that will be damaged for the force unleashed variant. I ran across some pictures of pretty much a similar idea of what I want to do on hapslashes website, however I don't think the reskin was ever released, so no hopes in getting it and improving on it. I will have just have to do it myself. But that's alright seeing how they did it gave me some ideas on how I will do mine

Any ways that's the update for now... Ill have more at the end of the day for me :o

Lamented likes this

Well to address some concerns about the clean thing. Honestl most vader models and or re-skins have always shown him clean.. So I will try to amend that with a few varieties of him scratched and dinged up. However remember there will be the Force unleashed beat up version so that's gonna be him in pretty rough shape. XD

Onysfx likes this

Well to address some concerns about the clean thing. Honestl most vader models and or re-skins have always shown him clean.. So I will try to amend that with a few varieties of him scratched and dinged up. However remember there will be the Force unleashed beat up version so that's gonna be him in pretty rough shape. XD

He doesn't necessarily need to be beat up per say.  Just a little dusty from all the mud the mouse droids track in the death star.

Circa and AngelModder like this

JKG Developer

Do the caps have bits of metal and wires in them? Only seems logical, seeing as all his limbs were basically cut off, and he had to have the suit basically built on/into him.

There was a vader hilt in the past that had his breathing added to it. That way you wouldn't have to mess with animsounds.cfg.

But that would mean you would need the hilt to hear the breathing, so doing it via animsounds.cfg would be quite a good idea, as that way you can use any hilt, and he could still 'breath'.

AngelModder and AshuraDX like this

Do the caps have bits of metal and wires in them? Only seems logical, seeing as all his limbs were basically cut off, and he had to have the suit basically built on/into him.

But that would mean you would need the hilt to hear the breathing, so doing it via animsounds.cfg would be quite a good idea, as that way you can use any hilt, and he could still 'breath'.

Yea + Unless the saber hilt is on the server it is a pointless gesture to use or include it with this. The animation .cfg will allow me to control this. I can just mix the footstep sound in lightly with him breathing. And that's if its even noticeable that theirs no foot step sound over his breathing any ways.

And Yes the caps fo have bits of war in them, but only for the knee's elbows and wrists, as these are the only relative areas that would have been mechanical. the other body parts use the basic default cap since they were still flesh.

Omicron likes this

Darth Vader - The Force Unleashed 1-2 Face

DarthVader-TheForceUnleashed.png

Darth Vader - Return Of The Jedi Face

DarthVader-ReturnOfTheJedi.png

Those face textures look awesome but he looks way healthier in those screenshots than he is portrayed in the movie.  By the end of episode VI he look's pretty freaking pathetic.

unmasked3.jpg

It might be weird to do something like that though because the shape of his face is different from the model you're using.

Circa likes this

A TFU head texture was already done, I can fetch it for you as a reference.

As for the EP6 head, make him look a bit more lumpy, lot more desaturated, black-eyed, wrinkly, tear into his head a bit more (I know--gruesome. Star Wars, right?), make his scars look a bit more deranged, and uh.

Oh yeah. Makes his eyes more blue rather than dark side-ish looking, and give them a feel of undisguised weariness and regret. As for different chronologies when he has a different mood, then he might look a bit more like Malak...

Sorry if this seems like a little much for you, I'm just trying to suggest, that's all. I'll get you a picture of the TFU version of Vader movie duels 2 made.

Ah, and on a last note, he looks a bit more like a booger in Episode V--that's judging by the ugly scene we see of him in his Meditation Chambers.

AngelModder likes this

I will see if I can make him look a bit more plump for the Ep 6 variety, as for the force unleashed while he did look to a point pathetic, I sort of made my own idea of what it SHOULD have been since finding good pictures of what he looked like in The Force Unleashed in HD are hard to come by. All I kept finding was a tiny toy model XD and a few concept art shots, Theirs hardly any in game shots for the search term :"Darth Vader Battle damaged" 

Tonight I am working on the body for the force unleashed version. Please do keep in mind there are restrictions on this model due to how it was made. (Though expertly made) it does have limitations to what can be done. I did manage to pull off a good cybernetic right leg last night. So tonight I will work on the right arm.

Lamented likes this