I suppose now is as good a time as any for a proper reveal...

Introducing the JKHub API.

What is it?

After a year's worth of culmination and thought, this completely open source API allows for mod editors (that would most likely be you reading this right now!) to integrate into the JKHub site in a variety of ways. Some of the proposed features and ideas include leaderboards, achievements, 1-click mod launching from the site, inviting others to play mods with you, global chat posting status updates while ingame, and more. For right now, the main focus revolves around achievements and basic social networking.

Through this test site, beta testers can experience some of these changes already. Profiles are exposed to the general public, and you can already begin to brag about your achievements. Why don't you check out my profile and see for yourself?

In short, the JKHub API could potentially revolutionize the community and bring everyone closer together.

How will it integrate with JKHub exactly?

I plan on altering the site drastically, when the chance arises for me to do so. It will require a constant effort to maintain, no doubt. I want to make profiles a lot more personal and really reflect your own persona. Your own little 'space', if you will, where users can be fascinated by all the mods that you play or make. Once the backend is there, I think we will see potential for growth in mod development. The community would become closer as a whole. That's my eventual goal, at any rate.

Ingame, players will be able to log in to their JKHub account from a universal and secure user interface, which is rendered from the engine.

How can I add achievements, etc to my mod?

You will have to register your mod first through a form, and the moderator will approve your mod. After that, you will have to add achievements to your mod, and then you will need to code in the activation for your achievements. OpenJK will be the first mod to use this API, so it would serve as a good example on how to implement the achievements, etc. I also plan on documenting everything as clearly as I can.

Do note that the API is currently going to be licensed under GNU GPL and require engine modification. If there is enough of a demand, I will try to make an MIT-licensed version which I will distribute on an individual basis.

When can I beta-test the system?

When it's ready. Currently the system needs a lot of work done on the game-side of things, and I will be bringing people in in waves to test the system.

Fighter, Shadzy, Unifermius and 8 others like this

Why is this going to be in OpenJK? Wasn't the focus of OpenJK to fix bugs and clean up the code, but nothing else?

Or do you mean that this mod will use OpenJK as a source, which is totally in line with the OpenJK purpose?

I like the idea, but until I get internet it is useless to me.

Making such a system work on base seemed like the most sensible first example. However since 'base' wouldn't make sense to classify as a mod (and uh...you'd need to modify base...and it wouldn't be base anymore!), OpenJK seemed like the next best thing.

This system is entirely optional, I should mention.

OpenJK is meant more to be a solid base for other mods and providing a good base experience. It would be a bit inaccurate to claim that it only fixed bugs and nothing more, especially with the advent of modular renderer/rend2 and various other minor changes.

Circa and Shadzy like this
  • 1 month later...