OS X Mavericks

I recently upgraded to OS X Mavericks, and been thinking of reinstalling JKA for some time. Apparently there are a couple of issues(could also be me);

I installed JKA with my SWJK Gold Pack dvd, but unable to launch MP which 'quits unexpectedly', while the SP launches just fine. Can't say if installing the binary patches would help in any way since I don't think they work with the Gold Pack copy.

I installed the Steam version, which is able to launch but with a resolution problem; I can barely see 1/4 of the menu and can't really access anything. As long as I know steam version initially worked with widescreen resolutions, without having to alter the config files, which I tried to but it seems there is no longer a 'r_mode' function.

Anyone can offer a solution? I appear to be a bit rusty at the moment so I'm quite stuck :/

( I use a retina macbook)

Circa likes this

Thanks for the responses, probably should have tried this earlier, but i installed jka through boot camp on windows 7, and the resolution issue persists there. So it appears even if I'm able to launch the game somehow(which I can with the Steam version) I'm gonna have to adjust the game to the retina resolution(tried r_mode on windows no luck)

I'll work on it further on when I have the time, and will be waiting to try your new launcher @@redsaurus

Circa likes this
  • 1 month later...

Just to clarify: the gold pack / disc version won't actually work properly on Mavericks because the networking library used has been taken out in 10.9. What the launcher does do now for Mavericks users is make it so you can properly join MP servers. If you still have problems with resolution in Steam, r_mode 10 is I think the best you can do (note r_mode -1 is gone)

Is there a fix for steam play on mavericks? also how do I install OpenJK for a steam version of JA on my imac? (I'm getting standard server file download errors meaning i cant join 90% of decent MP servers). The OS X 1.2 launcher just to double check doesnt work with steam mavericks version of JA? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am still getting an unexpected quit after I choose multiplayer after i open JKJA Launch. Is there anything I should do with base / steam folder in addition? Thanks and sorry to bother you with all the questions!

Did you point it to the correct .app?

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but upon launching with Redsaurus' launcher in mavericks, MP and SP would just unexpectedly quit. If launch normally, the game would launch, but then you wouldn't be able to join 90% of the MP servers due to download errors. I talked to Red and sent him a 

screen grab of the error, and he spotted where the problem was in Mavericks and released an update to solve it. Now it runs flawlessly. The guy is a legend!

Circa likes this

On mavericks, I've tried Redsaurus' updated launcher in my base folder, then in my japlus folder (and then in both) but still getting the download error, meaning I can't join any servers running JA+ (most of them). Any ideas?? :( Using the Mac App store version of JKJA.

On mavericks, I've tried Redsaurus' updated launcher in my base folder, then in my japlus folder (and then in both) but still getting the download error, meaning I can't join any servers running JA+ (most of them). Any ideas?? :( Using the Mac App store version of JKJA.

You put the launcher in the Applications folder. Not the base folder. Then you use that to launch the game. Double click on it.