rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

I'm still not sure what I can really do for UV seams :/

It may just need to be a fix in your FBX 2 GLM at some point.

EDIT:

After some reading - I found that if you do a normal bake onto a model that has the UV seam splits, it will mostly stop the splits from being visible. So this looks like the only option artists will have when making assets with rend2 in mind. ;)

Could someone modify the lava Shader to do a proper second stage so that the deeper crack areas glow brighter? So it's not a uniformly applied glow across entire Shader (as it is currently)?

Also, @@DT85 & @@Xycaleth -- regarding UV seams... are these UV seams smooth/blended as desired in 3dsMax and then broken along seams by Ghoul2 or what? Could the renderer code reapply smoothing based on smoothing groups? Are these UV seams present/apparent in the XSIViewer?

I imported a max exported xsi file into mod tool with 'normal' checked on the importer and your exporter doesn't create these uv seams. It's obviously the ghoul2 format. It seems to be something that happens with older formats.

I imported a max exported xsi file into mod tool with 'normal' checked on the importer and your exporter doesn't create these uv seams. It's obviously the ghoul2 format. It seems to be something that happens with older formats.

So what information is there in the Ghoul2 format that could be used to fix these seams within the renderer? How would it distinguish between what should be hard edges and what should be smoothed?

I'm holding off on the extras for now while I get weather working.

What I need for the PBR stuff is some assets :P a simple model with a diffuse, specular, roughness and normal map. I suppose I could make something simple myself now I think about it.

how about you go a few pages back and take my skiff & the additional normal maps which I posted there

DT. likes this

If the model name was longer than the name of the .veh file then it wouldn't load the right model lol.  I should be okay with just the Skiff for the moment as I haven't even gotten around to writing the new shaders for it yet. I went to bed straight after fixing this bug.

I could probably supply you with a couple test meshes if you wish , just let me know what you'd like to have

l6mg1Wzl.png

I could probably convert these for JA quickly if you wish

so what did you find when using my model ?

Magicka wizard wars?

Update... so SmileTheory (the guy behind the Quake3 rend2) spotted a small mistake in my normals calculations for Ghoul2 animated models, which I've now fixed. There shouldn't be any noticeable difference, but it was a bug nonetheless. I've also fixed problems with fog and dynamic glow (thanks to UniqueOne), as well as a bug in the cubemapping code which I introduced a few weeks ago and only just spotted.

I've also set up a Trello board so people can see the progress of things in Rend2. You can see what I have planned, what I'm currently doing and what's already been done.

https://trello.com/b/wdwAvV3n/rend2

I'll still be posting most updates here, but the trello board will let you see my progress on a single page.

Circa, DT., Stoiss and 3 others like this

Quick change to the Trello board! You can now vote on each of the cards so I can get an idea of how I should prioritize the tasks :)

@@DT85 @@Archangel35757 Regarding the UV seams, I have an idea for how to fix them now, but it won't be possible to fix it in the renderer. It will have to be fixed in my FBX to GLM converter as the smoothing group information is lost during the conversion process. Just to be clear though, if I'm right, then the problem is not because of the GLM format, it's because of the exporter/converter.

DT. likes this

Sounds like carcass to me. Once again, if only Raven would fork over dat codes.... :P

Yeah, I agree... @@DT85 verified the XSI format is fine. It seems that it breaks during the Carcass-to-Ghoul2 conversion. I really wish Raven would release the Carcass source code.

For now it seems the process will be:

1. Export your model and animation to dotXSI.

2. Convert to Ghoul2 using Carcass.

3. Re-export your model root pose to FBX.

4. Convert FBX to GLM using @@Xycaleth's converter.

5. Replace the GLM with the fixed one.

Does that seem about right?

ChalklYne, Futuza and Xycaleth like this

Sounds a bit long winded but sounds like it should work :) (if my fix works)

Maybe you could write a standalone EXE patch routine that takes as input the Carcass GLM file and a text file containing the smoothing group data (this data could be in the dotXSI file itself-- to avoid having to export another file?) and run the patch on the GLM... just a thought.