rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

but what does ffa3 look like?

Not sure why, but ffa3 has never looked wrong for me:

shot2014-02-18_07-24-04.jpg

But that does remind me, I also need to fix problems with the light grid not lighting entities properly. Players always seem to look a lot darker in rend2 compared to the vanilla renderer.

@@Xycaleth:

I'm pretty sure that's because every model has a minimum light value and will never go 100% dark in vanilla. Can you make it an on/off option?

If my map has zero lights but I compile it with -light, the level will be 100% dark but the models (player models & misc_model_static tested) won't be. They always seem to have some light no matter what:

2cd7vb7.jpg

Found the minimum lighting place.

tr_light.cpp:

// bonus items and view weapons have a fixed minimum add
if ( ent->e.renderfx & RF_MORELIGHT ) 
{
	ent->ambientLight[0] += tr.identityLight * 96;
	ent->ambientLight[1] += tr.identityLight * 96;
	ent->ambientLight[2] += tr.identityLight * 96;
}

else 
{
	// give everything a minimum light add
	ent->ambientLight[0] += tr.identityLight * 32;
	ent->ambientLight[1] += tr.identityLight * 32;
	ent->ambientLight[2] += tr.identityLight * 32;
}

So...I was having a bit of difficulty earlier with FRAPS recording the motion blur. If someone wants to give it a shot later, that would be great (I'm not 100% sure I pushed the code for the working motion blur though)

It's not that bad at all, it's actually pretty barely noticeable with a high enough sample rate (like 10 or so). There's virtually no FPS hit incurred by the motion blur also (as far as I can tell anyway, even with 100 samples it didn't put me lower than ~133 FPS on ffa3). Do note that this uses a completely different method than what QEffects Pro uses (QEffects Pro uses accumulation buffer method, which isn't really used ever because it looks low quality). This uses a camera blur method, similar to what Half Life 2: Episode 2 uses. I will also be adding a per-object motion blur method, which is similar to what CryENGINE uses. Both will be controlled by r_motionblur (probably 1 for camera blur, 2 for per-object). I also want to add cvars for number of samples, velocity multiplier, and depth threshold (anything below it doesn't get blurred, by default this is 0.2 so viewmodel/first person weapon doesn't get blurred)

DT. and minilogoguy18 like this
Guest KENNITHH

eez, you had me at "CryENGINE " , awesome job once again.

I was wondering if any of you thought or might add some better water code? I remember seeing a Q1/2/3 based game having some awesome water. It's always a plus for us mappers "art".

eez, you had me at "CryENGINE " , awesome job once again.

I was wondering if any of you thought or might add some better water code? I remember seeing a Q1/2/3 based game having some awesome water. It's always a plus for us mappers "art".

Well, cubemaps ought to improve the quality of reflections in water. As for actual water physics, I think the general consensus is that better water might cause some issues with backwards compatibility, but I'm honestly not too sure on it. I've never researched the subject of water too profusely. 

I used to not like G2 format but honestly after doing some things like making my character rig and some other custom animations it's really not that bad. The only real problem is there isn't a really good way to reverse compile it other than using Blender which getting people to leave their preferred software for a file format isn't going to happen.

Archangel35757 likes this

But that does remind me, I also need to fix problems with the light grid not lighting entities properly. Players always seem to look a lot darker in rend2 compared to the vanilla renderer.

They should be identical if r_hdr is off.

// bonus items and view weapons have a fixed minimum add
    if ( !r_hdr->integer ) {
        // give everything a minimum light add
        ent->ambientLight[0] += tr.identityLight * 32;
        ent->ambientLight[1] += tr.identityLight * 32;
        ent->ambientLight[2] += tr.identityLight * 32;
    }

This is if ( 1 ) in vanilla.  I'm assuming he did this cause it looks weird with proper hdr?