2.5D mod?

Ive only ever covered a mockup concept of this as seen in the castlevania thread, however I believe if pulled off it would open a new door for modders, mappers etc alike, since you could make 3D side scrolling stages per say, a perfect example for this use would be a possible remake of the "Super Star Wars" games seen on the super Nintendo, im just tossing the idea out there

Botdra likes this

I would just:

- assign the forward & back binds to the left and right keys

- delete the binds for the up & down keys

- delete any other binds that strafe or rotate the player

You should be able to tweak the thirdperson cam settings to work as side scrolling as well. :P

I would just:

- assign the forward & back binds to the left and right keys

- delete the binds for the up & down keys

- delete any other binds that strafe or rotate the player

You should be able to tweak the thirdperson cam settings to work as side scrolling as well. :P

I'd bind the up key to jump actually xD

I mean say a high quality hall way uses 2000 brushes, in 2.5D in theory it'd use only 1000 brushes, thus doubling the length of a level, although each level is limited in length via the editor distance, the "HOM" effect wouldn't be seen since only a small portion of the level is being rendered, roughly just what's beyond the camera's view, cut scenes could still use full 3D areas to give more illusion to the world is bigger then what it is.

OR: you take your spare 1000 brushes from the side of the room you don't see, and reuse them for buffing up the detail more

my plan is to use the 2.5D mod to probably make a "Super Star Wars" like game other modders could use this mod to do things like the following:

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles:

http://youtu.be/j6N_w1RlUzI

Megaman maverick hunter X:

New Super Mario Bros:

http://youtu.be/VsrHgQkN_rc

All these games are classic side scrollers with 3D models,

the primary goal of this mod is yes, to revist the "Super Star Wars" Saga, 99% of everything we need was already made at one point or another, flying levels are err to say the least simple, since they were just "shoot down X number of things" cept the death star in Return, as I remember on the SNES flying into and out of the core was a pain in the ass

2.5D is just an illusion for the most part

2.5D is an illusion of 3 dimensions using 2 dimensional objects ie images/animations

What you've described is just side-scrolling using a 3D engine. Nothing really 2.5D about it.

Good examples of 2.5D games: Age of Empires 1/2, Starcraft, Fallout, ...