Artificial Darkness?

I've got these alcoves in my map that I'm trying to make pitch black, so that you can't see the back of them, just a few feet in. Is there an easy way to do this while still having the main room be quite bright? Here's a screenshot of the alcoves for reference:

Underground1_zpsb72f3aa1.png

^ noooooooooooot recommended! :D Go back to programming eez 

I keed. But seriously that will drag your compile down to the ground. Use negative lights, and use scale/x key/value to adjust their intensity so they aren't so obvious.

I do wonder though, what is lighting the bottom part? Why is it not possible for you to just have those areas dark while lighting the bottom? Are you using a ambient or minlight over 20?

^ noooooooooooot recommended! :D Go back to programming eez 

I keed. But seriously that will drag your compile down to the ground. Use negative lights, and use scale/x key/value to adjust their intensity so they aren't so obvious.

I do wonder though, what is lighting the bottom part? Why is it not possible for you to just have those areas dark while lighting the bottom? Are you using a ambient or minlight over 20?

LOTS OF LIGHTS

DISCO FEVER

DT. and ChalklYne like this

well Im using on my one map

_minilight

ambient

this is only for testing purposes as I do have actual light sources and light emmiting shaders present, its usually trial and error till you find the sweetspot where everything works fine, of course if you were to use purely light soruces, eg lamps, lights, candles, etc, you'd get a more realistic light effect, however the draw back with that method is you'll have to plan out your lights alot more