Cloth sim experiments...

Yeah but wouldn't a simpler mesh (that would be around 1,000 tris or below) be better on performance?

Any hoods can just have the back, sides and front simulation influence feathered. The effect would be similar to some games that have long sleeves "wobbling" as they react to wind and movement.

Yeah but wouldn't a simpler mesh (that would be around 1,000 tris or below) be better on performance?

Any hoods can just have the back, sides and front simulation influence feathered. The effect would be similar to some games that have long sleeves "wobbling" as they react to wind and movement.

I don't think we need to worry about base specs anymore for the game, almost everyone has quad or even x8 the specs the game needs, I think you'd have a lot of play room before the performance took a hit

^This, I've modded games that would use a very low resolution collision mesh for every model, unless the model was very basic like a cube shaped crate it was best to make a collision mesh to reduce performance loss.

The other upside to collision geometry other than for physics is a better hit system, bounding box's FTL.

Ok cool. I think ghoul2 (if I remember the limits i saw correctly) can have at least one more LOD so you could set LOD 4 as collision mesh and leave the other 3 as-is.

Whether or not carcass can process 4 LODs is another thing.

You can get potentially infinite LODs in Ghoul2, the problem lies with that the engine is hardcoded to only use 3, however you can easily change the limit as I'm aware. It definitely loads however many LODs you throw at it though, just doesn't use them.

I thought I saw the limit was higher somewhere...oh well shows how much I know lol.

If carcass can't process 4 LODs, then having 4 LODs in a GLM will rely on Xycaleth's FBX to GLM converter unless of course you're a Blender user. :P

• 2 months later...

Yeah I am, I have the ability to use 64bit 3ds Max but I don't have 2011 in 64bit flavour.

Here's my little test with cloth sim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NJ7XKeF1Ww

Here are my cape bones:

sn9y.jpg

This is my 'method 2' which I'm importing each animation one-by-one into 3ds max 8 (because there is no xsi 3.0/3.5 importer for max 2011), saving out the .xaf animation and loading it up in 3ds Max 2011. I have 'clean' game bones constrained to the imported animation (JKA anim source) bones so it will work with Archangel's exporter. What you see is the game-ready cape mesh, not the cloth sim mesh.

My 'method 1' is converting the compiled JKA GLA to FBX using noesis and importing it into 3ds Max 2011. I then constrain 'clean' game bones to the imported bones from noesis. This method is flawed due to all the animations are in together thus making a VERY large export.

Circa and Psyk0Sith like this

I bet you wouldn't rofl!

Well here's an update on my side of things:

- carcass accepts VERY large xsi files, so yay!

- the cape sim isn't behaving well using the 'method 1' I mentioned earlier (due to the amount of sudden acrobatics), so may have to go the 'method 2' route.

What I think would produce the best results is 'method 2' (one animation at a time) which I would need your help @@Psyk0Sith and between the two of us, we could pull it off. Just send me your max file when your simulation stuff is complete. ;)