The jkhub server!

This is just a suggestion, albeit an odd one, however wouldn't it be nice if there was a server dedicated to this community? A place where we could socialize with one another within JKA? That would be nice. Just a suggestion XD.

Stoiss likes this

It would be awesome, I used to host one from my house but not sure of how reliable it would be if it were to get filled up.

Was thinking about wiping my old tower and using it as a server too only if someone can tell me for sure if it would be more reliable as a totally wiped either XP or linux based server.

Sounds like a good idea, though it would likely have to be marked as an "unofficial JKHub server" like the IRC channel is, as I don't think the staff would have the time to moderate it in addition to our regular staff duties.

The unofficial IRC never took off for this reason precisely. It wasn't integrated with the site, and nobody (not even the staff) would join. It makes me sad.

The unofficial IRC never took off for this reason precisely. It wasn't integrated with the site, and nobody (not even the staff) would join. It makes me sad.

True. I might look at making the IRC official, as I'm there pretty often and it would be easier to moderate than a server.

I wonder if people here would be willing to donate to keep a 32 player dedicated server running but I don't even know of anyone offering dedicated servers for JA.

Anyone know the best option out there? Some Have high prices and some are too cheap to be true. If I payed for it all on my own it'd probably be a lugormod server so I'm not sure of which would either offer that mod or allow me to use any mod I wanted rather than some that only let you select some.

It's probably cheaper to buy your own virtual private server (vps) and set up a JKA server on that. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the costs associated with the usual JKA server hosting are usually to do with the hosting company managing the server itself (I.e. setting up the JKA server, adding mods, etc).

The downside of buying a vps is that then you have do to all the things the hosting company would have done, plus the general security and housekeeping of the server itself.

It's probably cheaper to buy your own virtual private server (vps) and set up a JKA server on that. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the costs associated with the usual JKA server hosting are usually to do with the hosting company managing the server itself (I.e. setting up the JKA server, adding mods, etc).

The downside of buying a vps is that then you have do to all the things the hosting company would have done, plus the general security and housekeeping of the server itself.

i will rent one of these litle birds: http://www.ovh.es/servidores_dedicados/kemsirve.xml

My vps costs me £2.99/month and would probably be able to host a 16 player server. Add a bit more (say, £6.99) and I'd probably be able to host a 32 player server. Most 12 slot servers I've seen are at least £10/month or more.

Well even though it is cheaper I personally don't have the time to ensure it's secure and maintained, my day job and other hobbies consume most of my time, main reason why I can't even finish a mod project even small. Most seem to be around $15 a month for JA for 32 slots which isn't bad, I can spend that going out to lunch at work.

I just realized how nice this would be. I don't play online because I only play base JA but if I got a mod to play on, I don't have a server to go to. Random public servers usually result in everyone standing around chatting.

I'm seriously considering it, just want to hear back about @@Key and their luck with a provider using lugormod. Also would have liked to hear any experiences from anyone about hosting a server from home but using a dedicated tower to do it. I've hosted from home and it's decent but wanted to know if a PC with nothing but the winXP OS and the server files were on it would run any better.

Playing online is crazy fun if it's a good mix of hanging with friends and dueling, plus mods like lugormod always have something to do on the map.

Circa likes this

Personally I don't do lugormod anymore.  Mostly into MB2 and JA+.  MB2 cause of constant action and random funny things that happen, and JA+ to finetune my saber skills and run my custom maps with friends.  I do run a server on my comp, but I also use the tower for other things.  Most people don't lag very much, so it works well.  Usually though I just have a couple people on at a time.  I would guess once a dozen people got on it would lag a lot, but who knows.

....I'm seriously considering it, just want to hear back about @@Key and their luck with a provider using lugormod.....

We're still using MarkMods... the pricing is pretty good. But as I mentioned before in another topic, we're getting what we're paying for. Customer service isn't that great. There's only 3 available hosts to choose from (from last time I checked), and we're currently going with a Kansas (USA) server. Lag isn't that bad, we noticed every now and then people would lose connection for about 5 seconds. We have complete access to the game files and can very easily manage them with Filezilla - this is probably my the best aspect. From all the hosts we went through (4 in total), MarkMods ended up being our favorite.

We've successfully been running lugormod for a little under 2 weeks. The fact that we have total control of the game's files really helps with modding and editing. 

MB2 saber system is terrible and JA+ isn't really much different than playing base JA, just gives the admins more features.

Well MB2 is definitely a class and team based game which is why it's fun to me, not the saber system which does suck I agree.  However the Base dmg system is ridiculous in my opinion.  A double lunge with duals for instance, is usually an instant kill.  There's many one hit kills you can do, which personally, I don't think any but the single all or nothing jump swing (whatever that's called) should be a one hit kill.  In JA+ you cannot do most of this so I see it as more fair and balanced.  This is an age old debate though.  Obviously the base loyalists would disagree.