Frankensteining Models?

@@Psyk0Sith, if you do any updates with Haps models would you consider adding hips and a non-tunic style top please?

I don't think (but I could be wrong) that Hap put a actual pelvis on his legs in order to reduce clipping.

A plain torso such as a bodysuit, t-shirt, baggy-shirt, and etc would allow for more customization and rp potential. It would be much easier to had a Cade Skywalker type of character that way, a disguised jedi, or even just a dude.

I just want to add heads and matching limbs for aliens, no mods to the body, but i could mix parts from JA's stock models in there too if that works for you.

katanamaru and Circa like this

No expensive software needed, JA character models and animations can be done with free software.

Well that's something of a relief.

I just want to add heads and matching limbs for aliens, no mods to the body, but i could mix parts from JA's stock models in there too if that works for you.

Any idea as to what species you might explore Psyk0? Or whether or not you'll be taking suggestions? I'd be partial to a Gran Jedi myself...

No expensive software needed, JA character models and animations can be done with free software.

This is why a detailed, yet simple step by step tutorial is needed.

First up will be an Ithorian Jedi, Gran could be done quickly if i reuse the one from the game.

It would be perfect if all alien heads from the game were included. And even the human heads as well. That hasn't even been done yet. At least not completed. I know someone on the Void was working on adding human heads to a robed model but it never got finished.

Yeah throwing on a base model would work fine with me. Throw on a Kyle torso and legs and that'd be fine. There are so many Kyle reskins that would then become compatible that any pack could be updated to work on the 'new' model.

I'd also say throw most the base heads on it so we could have academy students and teachers with traditional robes.

If you were so inclinded. I don't want to sound demanding. :)

Circa likes this

This is why a detailed, yet simple step by step tutorial is needed.

It would be perfect if all alien heads from the game were included. And even the human heads as well. That hasn't even been done yet. At least not completed. I know someone on the Void was working on adding human heads to a robed model but it never got finished.

Now that there seems to be some interest in a few threads I'll try to get around to recording the video, it's already got the scene files ready and planned out, just need a day where the house is empty and quiet to record.

DT85, Circa, katanamaru and 3 others like this

@@Psyk0Sith, if you do any updates with Haps models would you consider adding hips and a non-tunic style top please?

I don't think (but I could be wrong) that Hap put a actual pelvis on his legs in order to reduce clipping.

A plain torso such as a bodysuit, t-shirt, baggy-shirt, and etc would allow for more customization and rp potential. It would be much easier to had a Cade Skywalker type of character that way, a disguised jedi, or even just a dude.

@@DT85, if you do anything with Toshi's luke would you look at rewieghting him please? I like the model a lot but the fact that his right hand holds the saber a little slanted drives me crazy to the point I don't use it. 

Re-weighted with fresh tags. Just need to upload it and get you to test it. ;)

Circa and katanamaru like this

Now that there seems to be some interest in a few threads I'll try to get around to recording the video, it's already got the scene files ready and planned out, just need a day where the house is empty and quiet to record.

Any update on that tutorial?

^Might start tonight, I'll probably separate it into multiple videos so that I don't have to worry about F'in something up.

1-Posing/fitting to skeleton and setting up groups

2-Enveloping model (wont be start to finish, that would be super long, just showing my way of getting a good envelope in good time)

3-Segmenting, hierarchy and caps (yes caps, they're stupid easy to make you should be ashamed if you skip them)

4-Finalizing, compile and test in Mod View/game

5-Bonus video to be made at a later time LOD's (yes it's best to do them last since you can just copy/paste the weight maps from the highrez model)

Should be all of it. You'll still need basic knowledge of the software, you wont be able to just watch the videos and toss a model in game right away so get to studying.

^Might start tonight, I'll probably separate it into multiple videos so that I don't have to worry about F'in something up.

1-Posing/fitting to skeleton and setting up groups

2-Enveloping model (wont be start to finish, that would be super long, just showing my way of getting a good envelope in good time)

3-Segmenting, hierarchy and caps (yes caps, they're stupid easy to make you should be ashamed if you skip them)

4-Finalizing, compile and test in Mod View/game

5-Bonus video to be made at a later time LOD's (yes it's best to do them last since you can just copy/paste the weight maps from the highrez model)

Should be all of it. You'll still need basic knowledge of the software, you wont be able to just watch the videos and toss a model in game right away so get to studying.

Awesome. What software would that be exactly?

Yeah and if I remember right you use a Mac *shudders* which may not work out so well for you since I don't believe there is a Mac version of the software. Don't think there are even mac versions of the tools needed to compile models and animations, unless someone has made them recently.

Besides, using Softimage is the most sure fire way to get models and animations into the game without issues as long as you're doing it right.

Yeah and if I remember right you use a Mac *shudders* which may not work out so well for you since I don't believe there is a Mac version of the software. Don't think there are even mac versions of the tools needed to compile models and animations, unless someone has made them recently.

Besides, using Softimage is the most sure fire way to get models and animations into the game without issues as long as you're doing it right.

I have 2 different VMs running Windows 7 and XP. Don't worry about me. :P

Macs are so unappreciated on this site. It's crazy. People usually say that stuff because they've never used one. :P

My GF has a brand new Mac Book Pro, iPad, iPhone, etc. Used them plenty, would rather build my own PC to my liking, so much more... well... personal. There is SOOOOOOOO much you can't do with a Mac.

First video is done, if you want a little preview just go into the link in my sig.

My GF has a brand new Mac Book Pro, iPad, iPhone, etc. Used them plenty, would rather build my own PC to my liking, so much more... well... personal. There is SOOOOOOOO much you can't do with a Mac.

First video is done, if you want a little preview just go into the link in my sig.

I guess if you like building your own machines, then yeah, Mac isn't the way to go. But the OS is just as personable. The only thing I haven't been able to do with a Mac is small things that always have to do with certain software or game not available for it. Even then, I just use Wine to make them work. The only thing I couldn't get working was The Old Republic and that's because of the strict launcher. It runs great on my Windows partition.

Anyways, sorry for that. :P

Okay cool. I'll check it out! Thanks!