Tales From The Clone Wars - JKA comic

Pre-production is going well, got lots of new Rebel characters being made. Also updated the Sullustan featured in the teaser:

ConceptRebels.jpg

One of the challenges of doing an OT-era comic compared to a Clone Wars one is that the 'grunt' troops for the heroes are all individuals rather than clones - which means there will be a whole army's worth of kitbashes being created to fill out the ranks of the Rebellion.

Bek, Cerez, Jolly and 1 other like this
  • 2 months later...

So, thanks to the passage of time, the frustration at having to re-do some much work due to my PC crash last year has waned. As such, I felt a new urge to complete Tales From The Clone Wars Volume Five before I move on to Tales From The Rebellion (which is still coming, just further down the line).

The adventures of the clones Asher and Corliss are far from over, and Issue Two is just around the corner. As with previous volumes, I've created a mock-poster to commemorate the upcoming issues:

Vol5Poster.jpg

That's just a small glimpse of the characters that will be featured throughout the volume - I've got some ideas I'm really keen to kick around as the story unfolds. Hopefully you guys will enjoy them.

therfiles, Bek and Jeff like this

The Droids on the left remind me of Tarisian Mechanic Guards (actually Droids), who are encountered in the Lower levels of Taris near the Tarisian Administration Archives some 300 years after the attack by Darth Malak. Are these actually from that era? And I see several new characters, which I am curious about seeing in the story. :)

Kualan likes this

The Droids on the left remind me of Tarisian Mechanic Guards (actually Droids), who are encountered in the Lower levels of Taris near the Tarisian Administration Archives some 300 years after the attack by Darth Malak. Are these actually from that era? And I see several new characters, which I am curious about seeing in the story. :)

The droids themselves are not from that era, however in-universe their design is based around that of 'classic' war droids from periods like the Jedi Civil War. This is a link that will be remarked upon in the story itself.

There are a lot more characters that will become involved in the story as the comic unfolds, with the teaser above mostly featuring returning characters - like the Republic Intelligence officer Sarella Drayson, who returns from Volume Four. The figure next to her is an updated Admiral Tarkin model. And of course Hondo Ohnaka makes the leap from the Clone Wars/Rebels TV show to the comic!

Seeing a Faleen Bounty Hunter (or Assassin) makes me wonder, if the new stories would involve something of other EU stories, like Shadows of the Empire (possible appearance of Black Sun, young Xizor, his family killed by later Vader), something from the Dark Forces (General Rom Mohc was believed to be a veteran from the Clone Wars, very loyal to the Empire and responsible for Dark Trooper project), as well as many others. I wouldn't mind seeing something from Star Wars Galaxies, and even less known legends of Star Wars.

Jeff likes this

It's crazy how long you've been doing this @@Kualan! I've been following your stories since you've been posting imperial shipyards, I was surprised when I came here to find you posting here as well. Keep up the good work I guess lol. 

I know it's lasted years now, never thought I'd still be doing it as a hobby when I first started throwing the comics together.

Seeing a Faleen Bounty Hunter (or Assassin) makes me wonder, if the new stories would involve something of other EU stories, like Shadows of the Empire (possible appearance of Black Sun, young Xizor, his family killed by later Vader), something from the Dark Forces (General Rom Mohc was believed to be a veteran from the Clone Wars, very loyal to the Empire and responsible for Dark Trooper project), as well as many others. I wouldn't mind seeing something from Star Wars Galaxies, and even less known legends of Star Wars.

There are definitely references to the old EU coming in the volume, but the main thrust of the story is original. I'm not opposed to bringing in more stuff from the EU so long as it suits the story, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading this issue a lot. Introducing new senators and a new Assassin – I would really like to know, where this one goes to eventually.

Glad you enjoyed it! There are a lot of twists and turns to come with the mystery as it unravels - what seem like answers in this issue are just scraping the surface.

Really enjoyed this one, glad your back.  :D

Thanks man! Good to be back in the swing of things.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for the delay in Issue Three - it has gone through numerous rewrites as I've gone back and changed elements of Volume 5's overbranching story. It seems just about back on track now though, and I should have something to show for the new issue by the end of the week.

Jeff, Bek and therfiles like this

The guy on the left reminds me of Jordan Belfort, the character based upon the real person, seen in the The Wolf of Wall Street, played by Leonardo DiCaprio.

The ned Admiral model also looks cool. I thought it was Tarkin, but he looks differently and older. Who is this guy?

It actually is Tarkin - a new character model I made for him.

I never noticed the similiarities between Senator Sleen and Leo DiCaprio before but you're right! I can't unsee it.

He's actually inspired by insipid characters like Lord Petyr Baelish from Game Of Thrones, so still has a fair bit in common with the unscrupulous Wolf Of Wall Street (though I've yet to watch the film).

Cerez likes this

Oh, I see the resemblance with Baelish now. Yes, they have something in common. I've just completed reading the issue, and see even more similarity of Sleen with Belfort. The way he talks – also is quite similar. So it's sort of a mix between two different characters with Star Wars approach. I like it.

As for Tarkin – I thought it could be him, but I didn't recognize him (the model is very nice though). It felt a bit strange, that in this issue Tarkin is somehow kinder and more positive about discussing the issues with the Jedi – it looked that way. It was the major reason, why I thought it was a different admiral and not Tarkin.

I also saw the new model of Mace Windu. The previous one did look too young, so I guess this shift towards a darker Episode III is for the better.

Oh, I see the resemblance with Baelish now. Yes, they have something in common. I've just completed reading the issue, and see even more similarity of Sleen with Belfort. The way he talks – also is quite similar. So it's sort of a mix between two different characters with Star Wars approach. I like it.

As for Tarkin – I thought it could be him, but I didn't recognize him (the model is very nice though). It felt a bit strange, that in this issue Tarkin is somehow kinder and more positive about discussing the issues with the Jedi – it looked that way. It was the major reason, why I thought it was a different admiral and not Tarkin.

I also saw the new model of Mace Windu. The previous one did look too young, so I guess this shift towards a darker Episode III is for the better.

Aye, the difference in how Tarkin addresses the Jedi in this issue is entirely intentional. His hands are tied by the debate in the Senate, and this is why he needs the 'moral authority' (as he puts it) of the Jedi in order to act - looking towards his views on the Jedi and the Senate in the post-ROTS timeline, events like this could explain why he has such contempt for them. The events that Sleen is bringing to the fore are making unusual allies...how long that lasts though will remain to be seen.

I gotta say, I just started reading this from the beginning and I'm really digging it so far! Such an awesome idea and executed very well.

Thanks @@DTIII ! Hope you stick with it, the series definitely improves with each volume as the editing, writing and Photoshopping all get better the more practice I had at them.

Thanks @@DTIII ! Hope you stick with it, the series definitely improves with each volume as the editing, writing and Photoshopping all get better the more practice I had at them.

Currently about to start Volume 2 Issue 3. These models/skins from your created characters are pretty cool too!

I'm actually considering removing Volumes One and Two from the site and starting the Tales From The Clone Wars series from Volume Three. I was looking back at those older issues today and they just look so dated and rusty compared to the more modern volumes. It would be a tough call since collectively the two volumes represent a huge amount of work hours, but I think it might be needed to give new visitors to the comic the best first impression.

I'm actually considering removing Volumes One and Two from the site and starting the Tales From The Clone Wars series from Volume Three. I was looking back at those older issues today and they just look so dated and rusty compared to the more modern volumes. It would be a tough call since collectively the two volumes represent a huge amount of work hours, but I think it might be needed to give new visitors to the comic the best first impression.

I saw somewhere, your interview I think? where you stated you wanted to maybe remaster them, why not just do that? Do you still have those older assets?