Tales From The Clone Wars - JKA comic

I'm actually considering removing Volumes One and Two from the site and starting the Tales From The Clone Wars series from Volume Three. I was looking back at those older issues today and they just look so dated and rusty compared to the more modern volumes. It would be a tough call since collectively the two volumes represent a huge amount of work hours, but I think it might be needed to give new visitors to the comic the best first impression.

I wouldn't remove them, they're still pretty good. Maybe just move them and name them original rough draft or something. 

DTIII likes this

Thanks for the nice words folks!

RE - facial expression, definitely something I want to work on. Over the course of the comic I've learned new Photoshopping tips and tricks and it shows; lightsaber duels look better, motion is conveyed more stylishly, etc, but facial expression remains an enigma. Anybody with a proficiency in Photoshopping know any good tips for how to do it in a way that doesn't come across looking like a Robot Chicken cartoon?  :lol:

Just use ModView's facial animations and take a screenshot.

I saw somewhere, your interview I think? where you stated you wanted to maybe remaster them, why not just do that? Do you still have those older assets?

Alas, the original .psd Photoshop work files for everything pre-Volume Five were lost in October when my old PC died a nasty death >_<

I wouldn't remove them, they're still pretty good. Maybe just move them and name them original rough draft or something. 

Aye, maybe I'll move them to an 'Archive' page or something.

Just use ModView's facial animations and take a screenshot.

Modview's facial expressions are a little limited, and the majority of player-made models aren't rigged for expressions anyway unfortunately. It's okay though, as of Volume Three I figured out some Photoshop techniques to introduce facial expression so it's only Volumes One and Two that have this issue (another reason I'm considering removing them from the main 'series').

Alas, the original .psd Photoshop work files for everything pre-Volume Five were lost in October when my old PC died a nasty death >_<

Ah ok, well anyway I don't think those first two volumes are as bad as you say. Yes, the characters faces stay the same but I still enjoyed them a lot! I'm just now starting Volume 3.

Kualan likes this

Galactic Battlegrounds was the first Star Wars game I was ever truly obsessed with.

Countless hours were spent playing that game, I still do too since that's another game that's still being modded. Have you tried making any skins from characters in that game besides Tann?

Kualan and NumberWan like this

Countless hours were spent playing that game, I still do too since that's another game that's still being modded. Have you tried making any skins from characters in that game besides Tann?

Off the top of my head, I don't believe so. I remember when that Sev'rance Tann panel needed to be made I contemplated putting together an Echuu Shen-Jon model but in the ended chickened out with a standard hooded Jedi seen from behind.

NB: The Sev'rance Tann skin wasn't done by me, but alas I can not recall where I got it from. It might be on @@mrwonko 's backup of the old JK3Files site.

The modding community is still going for SWGB? Dayum, I may have to fire up the old disc again.

I know right? I used to send my heroes to war in the campaign just so that I could complete the mission with ALL of my troops alive :P

Heh, I remember re-doing Darth Vader's mission on Yavin IV over and over to try and ensure I finished with as large a curbstomp Imperial army as possible. If you're gonna crush rebels, you got to do it right.

Ramikad likes this

Off the top of my head, I don't believe so. I remember when that Sev'rance Tann panel needed to be made I contemplated putting together an Echuu Shen-Jon model but in the ended chickened out with a standard hooded Jedi seen from behind.

NB: The Sev'rance Tann skin wasn't done by me, but alas I can not recall where I got it from. It might be on @@mrwonko 's backup of the old JK3Files site.

The modding community is still going for SWGB? Dayum, I may have to fire up the old disc again.

Alright then I'm gonna try and find that link, and yeah man check out Expanding Fronts. Those guys have added and changed elements to the game itself, incredible project.

Ramikad likes this

Alright then I'm gonna try and find that link, and yeah man check out Expanding Fronts. Those guys have added and changed elements to the game itself, incredible project.

Yeah. Too bad they scrapped the Factions subsystem, because it really added depth to the gameplay.

Heh, by coincidence both HoloNews One and other galactic media are going to feature in the next issue of Volume Five.

Almost caught up! I'm on Volume 4 now.

Yeah. Too bad they scrapped the Factions subsystem, because it really added depth to the gameplay.

They're still doing awesome stuff over there though.

Kualan likes this

Don't know if anyone else has this problem but sometimes whilst scrolling through an issue and clicking for the next page, I get a "page not found"? If I refresh it, it goes back to normal and I can see the page but this continues to happen with certain pages. 

Don't know if anyone else has this problem but sometimes whilst scrolling through an issue and clicking for the next page, I get a "page not found"? If I refresh it, it goes back to normal and I can see the page but this continues to happen with certain pages. 

Hm, first I've heard of it but I can have a look into it for you. Could you give me an example or two of which pages were giving you trouble?

Hm, first I've heard of it but I can have a look into it for you. Could you give me an example or two of which pages were giving you trouble?

It's been a number of them, mostly the Volume 4 issues. This is what pops up.

6g1Snn0.png

Okay, I just got the exact same thing just going to the main Comics page. The fact that it's only happening now and I've never seen it before suggests to me it's a temporary thing - probably just some behind the scenes maintenance by the Webs guys.

Alright, cool. Anyway though comic itself is fantastic, digging the cameos and of course just how awesome these characters look in general.

Awesome! How did you find it overall? Favourite volume so far?

Great stuff man, you sure know what you're doing because it kept me wanting to see what was gonna happen next! I enjoyed them all, so I'm not sure I have a favorite but definitely looking forward to the rest of Volume 5 and beyond!

Kualan likes this

So today I went through the site and removed Volumes One and Two - as well as the tedious exercise of updating every comic cover for the other volumes to retroactively push them back in order, (e.g. Volume Three becomes Volume One, Volume Four becomes Volume Two, etc).

I just think it was necessary for the sake of quality control - looking through some of those older issues there were things like horribly-placed speech bubbles, out-of-character dialogue and lame special effects that I felt did the comic a disservice.

I know some people enjoyed those volumes regardless (and I appreciate those sentiments) so i may find a way to upload them as 'archives' at some point in the future. But for now they've been taken out of the official 'Tales From The Clone Wars' continuity!

zOrg likes this