[PSA] QEffects-GL: It works, and looks badass.

I've never understood why people keep trying to hack the hell out of JKA. Do people just love to hack stuffs lol? Is it a programmer thing lol? JKA was good for it's time and quite a few years after it's time, but now it's terribly outdated and they still haven't forked over the SP code after like what, a decade? I do really think there is a dead horse being flogged here lol...

Not to say the work done isn't very cool or anything, it's quite an acheivement to have done what you guys have with what you got to work with. ;)

(Shameless plug begins)

Now then if you guys want something that's up-to-date, keep track of MovieBattles 3.  :D

(Shameless plug ends)

I've never understood why people keep trying to hack the hell out of JKA. Do people just love to hack stuffs lol? Is it a programmer thing lol?

It's mostly for shits and giggles. Also, we love JKA.

Now then if you guys want something that's up-to-date, keep track of MovieBattles 3.  :D

That will likely be cease-and-desisted to hell and back at some point though.

I've never understood why people keep trying to hack the hell out of JKA. Do people just love to hack stuffs lol? Is it a programmer thing lol? JKA was good for it's time and quite a few years after it's time, but now it's terribly outdated and they still haven't forked over the SP code after like what, a decade? I do really think there is a dead horse being flogged here lol...

...You do realize that just general modding is the same thing pretty much right?

Also it isn't JKA specific (works perfectly fine in JK2 SP and JK2 MP too. Screens after the break.)

If it's as much of a snore as MovieBattles II, then I'm probably not going to play it. Somehow the idea of Moviebattles 2 on a different engine is just not all that appealing to me.

Hmmmm...I just tried it. It just seemed to over saturate all the colors and make everything glow and make deep shadows. Interesting. It's probably my super old computer...I didn't see any other cool features, though.

You have to modify the .ini in order to get the best effects. For instance, here's my JK2 SP config, to make everything dark:

http://pastebin.com/sAhhQ1xX

Massive screenshots post coming up next with all the neat screens.

This would have been cool like 3 years ago when I was making most of my jka-movies.

Edit: For me it doesn't seem to work... Is there anything I have to do with the .ini?

(besides adding [jamp.exe] to it :P)

Could be your graphics card, but I don't use a [jamp.exe] section, rather I just modify the generic.

Aside from that, RenderFrame has to be 0 (it is by default i think), otherwise it interferes with the UI, and ZTrickFix should be 1 (I don't notice an effect either way though)

therfiles likes this
If it's as much of a snore as MovieBattles II, then I'm probably not going to play it. Somehow the idea of Moviebattles 2 on a different engine is just not all that appealing to me.

^This, SW themed counter strike is only fun for a small time, then it gets repetetive. If that team had half a brain they'd just simpley remake the MP side of JA rather than a mod that is only appealing to some, hell I'd help them if it weren't based on MB.

eezstreet likes this

shot0011.jpg

shot0018.jpg

shot0025.jpg

shot0030.jpg

shot0038.jpg

shot0044.jpg

shot0046.jpg

shot0063.jpg

shot0078.jpg

shot0080.jpg

shot0081.jpg

shot0082.jpg

shot0089.jpg

shot0097.jpg

shot0108.jpg

shot0115.jpg

shot0116.jpg

shot0119.jpg

shot0129.jpg

shot0130.jpg

shot0136.jpg

shot0137.jpg

shot0146.jpg

shot0148.jpg

It would be nice if this had a levels feature, so i can get rid of the ridiculous levels of purple in some of the screenshots. but i digress.

Looks a lot better when you're actually ingame, I might add. The screenshots don't really do it justice.

I'm still wondering if the two missing missions from it still exist on Raven's files...

Also, yeah, I had some sort of ideas to make a JK2 TC with better visuals, more intelligent mission design, new "extreme" difficulty level, maybe the two missing missions, and typo correction, bug fixes, that sort of stuff.

As far as "intelligent mission design goes", one of the changes I was going to make involved swapping Nar Shaddaa and Artus or something of the like.

It would be nice if this had a levels feature, so i can get rid of the ridiculous levels of purple in some of the screenshots. but i digress.

Looks a lot better when you're actually ingame, I might add. The screenshots don't really do it justice.

I would hope it looks better in-game, because right now it just looks like the contrast is cranked way up which should not inherently equal higher quality.

Once Moviebattles 3 is out and if people want a more "JKA MP" feel, I'll be happy to try and make a mod of it for you guys. :D

No offense, and not trying to go off topic here, but I doubt MB3 could really fill that niche, primarily because JKA and MB3 follow very different styles of development. While JKA was under a time constraint (and JK2 was too for that matter -- was developed, from initial concepts to finish, in less than a year's time), MB3 could very easily spend as much time as they want working on recreating that feel. Not to mention, the engine and the attitude of the team and whatnot just frankly has given me little confidence that such a thing could be done speedily.

Bought and been playing JK2 for an hour. No kidding. Its way the hell better. Now to try QEffects...

If you need some configs, I can get some for you which can make the game look better. I've spent the better part of two hours getting my config to not be so contrast-heavy and dark, but still maintain the feel I was going for. There's definitely some bugs with the system though, because saturation -100 makes everything crazy contrasted. I think it was because the developers behind QEffects were more focused on saturation than desaturation when they wrote that bit of code, but I could be totally wrong. At any rate, it's open source, so somebody is bound to find out what the problem is at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an idea. Can you guys try and see if its possible to add bump mapping into JKA for characters, similar to how Mace made fake bump mapping work for maps shader-wise?

Btw, I know that Xycaleth was getting close to normal mapping in JKA a while back but he didn't have the time to really get it further...

Sure. Become a doctorate in software engineering, graphics engineering and computer science, and get back to me on that. Bumpmapping (a strictly hardware-based, or vertex shader-based effect) on a software-based renderer like JKA (which we've only just managed to get..OK-looking fragment shaders through hacks) is based off of is not going to work.

I'm sure someone is going to shout "but XREAL!!!" after i say this, and let me repeat: JKA is a software-based renderer, XreaL is a modified Quake3 engine which runs off of the GPU. XreaL had to modify the entire engine (no joke), which simply isn't possible in JKA due to a) ghoul2 b) efx unless someone rewrites those to work on a more modular engine design.

In theory, one could proxy the main scene render and write their own renderer on top of it, but..why? Frankly, the engine renders graphics decently enough. People should be focusing more on making interesting gameplay, not purrdy graphics, IMO :mellow:

therfiles likes this
Sure. Become a doctorate in software engineering, graphics engineering and computer science, and get back to me on that. Bumpmapping (a strictly hardware-based, or vertex shader-based effect) on a software-based renderer like JKA (which we've only just managed to get..OK-looking fragment shaders through hacks) is based off of is not going to work.

I'm sure someone is going to shout "but XREAL!!!" after i say this, and let me repeat: JKA is a software-based renderer, XreaL is a modified Quake3 engine which runs off of the GPU. XreaL had to modify the entire engine (no joke), which simply isn't possible in JKA due to a) ghoul2 B) efx unless someone rewrites those to work on a more modular engine design.

In theory, one could proxy the main scene render and write their own renderer on top of it, but..why? Frankly, the engine renders graphics decently enough. People should be focusing more on making interesting gameplay, not purrdy graphics, IMO :mellow:

*Ignores your obvious sarcasm lol*

Fair enough, just figured you might be able to make the fake bumpmapping work for player models as well. I remember when I was that guy who shouted XREAL!

Sure, the engine renders decently enough if you absolutely LOVE how gouraud shading looks on low-to-medium quality models. :P