sorry for the lack of updates i been working on a lot lately heres some more work

been doing a little cleanup to the body

i got rid of like 1000 tris lmao it was daunting but awesome. and now i have this low poly model, and a higher poly model for cutscenes n stuff rendered in xsi. so i still have a bunch to do til hes real nice, but its coming together

newpaintw.jpg

sorry dude

figured it had enough contrast in it to be ok, bu tthat may be my screen

newpainte.jpg

those squiggly lines in his torso texture arent really there.. it just shows em like that in textured decal mode, if i render it its ok, will they show up ingame like that cuz of the fine detail?

The reason why I tell you to use textured decal because that mode shows the textures EXACTLY how they'll look in game without shaders. I made the SAME mistake as you when I first used Softimage and I'll tell you that if you keep it in the regular textured and paint based on how it looks in there when you go to load up your model in modview to test everything will look super bright and washed out.

I'm sure if you ask Corto he'll tell you the same thing, keep it in textured decal unless you make custom Softimage shaders that mimics the shader you use in JA in which case you'd view it in openGL or DX9 view.

yeah i been trying out custom shaders lately too so i can get a feel for em in softimage. just the basic spec and env shaders right now. and yeah that metal armor is still screwy its not color matched to his real armor color and i wanna make some nice scratches n stuff for it

Yeah modview has absolutely no lighting (maybe that will change someday, Xycaleth? :D).

Add some light scratches to the diffuse, then add them with a bit more intensity to the specular. This way, you only get those deeper scratches when the armor shines rather then all the time. Just don't overkill the shine though. ;)

The problem is that, to me at least, it just doesn't look like Sam Witwer/Galen Marek anymore. I think you're getting carried away and moving too quickly again. Before continuing to the rest of the model, make sure the head actually resembles the character you are trying to model. Right now, it just looks like some random person, and not Starkiller.

like i said i get burnt out easy, dont wanna rush it, and have a bunch of other things map objects a tons of shaders a few rigs that im playing with for cutscenes so ill just spend a full day or two coming back to it and going thru it and trying see whats the matter now when im not so burnt out on him, or else im not having fun with it. i do it for fun and have a crapload of work done and needed to be done so ill just come back later n fine tune his face. im in no hurry for it im gettting a few things ready to display him with when its done u know? a couple of cool rigs. been messin with face robot a little and cutscene rendering, cutscene rigs and such. trying to learn some real nice shaders in xsi so yeah ive got some work ahead of me and this dudes head was just a pain in my ass so just to keep it fun for me i bounce around. when i get burnt out modelling, ill uv map.. then ill texture, then shaders, etc, i have like 4 small maps worth of map objects left and maybe 4 or 5 more player models to finish. so this dudes face while frustrating, is kind of bottom of the list right now lol. itll build its way back up im just burnt for a while and focusing on the rest of the project

but its cool i got it all planned out in sections and im checking things off as i go i have some sort of awkward rhyme to this thing lol. i wanted to keep a syllabus or schedule or whatever of what i need and have so i actually finish this thing.  im pretty much building the maps i need in xsi and converting to ase or md3 where applicable and saving the actual mapping in gtk a bunch. sux xsi dont convert to ase i gotta install max again for a while i guess

Horatio Culver likes this

so yeah ive got some work ahead of me and this dudes head was just a pain in my ass so just to keep it fun for me i bounce around. when i get burnt out modelling, ill uv map.. then ill texture, then shaders, etc, i have like 4 small maps worth of map objects left and maybe 4 or 5 more player models to finish. so this dudes face while frustrating, is kind of bottom of the list right now lol. itll build its way back up im just burnt for a while and focusing on the rest of the project

I completely understand.

why all the pics of hks starkiller. itd b kinda goofy to compare mine to his fo ref purposes. and that face is pretty janky i never really got into that one either. those r all renders, and the only thing i take from all those is i like the hands... no worries tho ill have a decent rendition. and thx 4 all the effort. but to me that ones janky as hell 2

first pic is dolph lundgran hands down =)

2nd set is spock loll

but i like the skin tone and eyes on dolph

why all the pics of hks starkiller. itd b kinda goofy to compare mine to his fo ref purposes. and that face is pretty janky i never really got into that one either. those r all renders, and the only thing i take from all those is i like the hands... no worries tho ill have a decent rendition. and thx 4 all the effort. but to me that ones janky as hell 2

first pic is dolph lundgran hands down =)

2nd set is spock loll

but i like the skin tone and eyes on dolph

Because at the end of the day, his is the best one that has been made up to this point. He did the facial structure well (I don't know about it from a modeling point of view, but as far as accurately recreating the face in a clearly recognizable way), and it's not perfect but it's close to his face.

i just personally dont see it then. i like a lot of the texturing, but see a lot of cartoony areas. hell what do i know. ill mess with starkiller some more here after i finish recording these few tracks prolly 3 days id say

• 3 weeks later...

i apologize for the lack of updates i been working on a map and map objects for this mod

n3h3.jpg

5imh.jpg

dmd3.jpg

the nose is still a bit screwy but ive got some things to do ill come back to it

i spent some time watching a witwer interview and just kinda modelled in realtime i guess u would say while watching it. i think it helped a lot with catching him from different angles and catching a lotta screw ups

i would post a few pics of the map, but im having a problem combining a diff, spec, env, and glow stage all into 1 shader. the blend modes r screwing with me. 

therfiles likes this

That looks much better man. Still needs some work of course but it's definitely recognizable.

Watch the shape of the nose, it's very unnatural and blocky right now. It needs to have shape to it, and be more triangular.

forceunleashed2header.jpg.size-525_maxhe

even tho that version earlier today looked real decent, it had a lot of problems so i pretty much had to start over. when i rigged him and tested his facial deformations he looked blocky. so i reworked his topo as u saw in the last post. then i didnt like the texture cuz its pretty much like 25% photosourced cuz thats a good way to get the basics down in zbrush by overlaying the roto images and going from there. repainting over it as a guideline. which i did. and i wanted to hand paint it instead and see where i could get. so i reworked the mesh, re-uv mapped it, and spent maybe the past hour painting this so far. 

tldt.jpg

hey mini... u see those 3 instances of 5poles i threw in there in the previous post? thx man