max distance for brushes to show

Since i am working on a terrain map, i have a fairly large open area, which at the bend fails to load, while i can look into the area, half of the brushes slowly load when you get closer, which is anoying. Is there a way to set distance on appearance of loading brushes? 

Is this a game limitation or is this settable in worldspawn?

Else i may need to play with the area to see if i can create a different route for the player to enter the area in, which i can portal//hint nicely

I think you want to play with the distancecull value in the worldspawn. It basically determines how far from the player (in game units) the world is rendered. For example, distancecull 1000 will render everything up to 1000 units from the player, and not beyond.

awesome, i ll play with it later

• 2 weeks later...

I believe @@Ramikad is correct. Distancecull should get you there. I believe there is still a hard upper limit on distancecull, though. It won't render an infinite distance, but it will certainly go much farther than the default.

Many of the popular maps of yore had issues with it. Naboohills2.1 comes to mind. The entire map was a very very large open field, but the renderer still cut out just before the halfway point.

I believe @@Ramikad is correct. Distancecull should get you there. I believe there is still a hard upper limit on distancecull, though. It won't render an infinite distance, but it will certainly go much farther than the default.

Many of the popular maps of yore had issues with it. Naboohills2.1 comes to mind. The entire map was a very very large open field, but the renderer still cut out just before the halfway point.

If there is an upper limit, I don't think I've ever reached it - I'm fairly certain it can go up to (and probably beyond) 185000 units.

NAB622 likes this