What happend with Jedi Knight 4?

Would've loved to have seen a Jedi Knight 4 (Jedi Academy sequel), with all the code changes that've been done in more recent mods, like MB2. etc. with SFX Sabers, updated graphics and visuals. And yet, still be as moddable as Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy is. Imagine that! I would buy that in a heartbeat.. As long as they kept the core gameplay, but maybe made some improvements and adjustments.. Maybe like some manual blocking and what not. Y'know, things like that.
But unfortunately, we've got EA dealing with the whole STAR WARS games licence, now. Which I certainly won't be sorry to see the back of, once the licence expires.

TheWhitePhoenix and Droidy365 like this

JKA didn't really sell well, so the immediate call for a JK4 was abandoned. Then later their initial idea for a new JK game was what TFU became.

Yeah.. Nothing but a "pure hack 'n' slash" game, that took away all the skill and immersion of real, fun lightsaber combat, in favour of "over the top" Force Powers.

I would have liked that Jedi Academy had served to inspire others and adopt its combat system, but without being based on Star Wars, such as Devil May Cry at its era served to inspire so many hack and slash for consoles.

And about The Force Unleashed, I prefer the Jedi Knight games, but the Force powers seem to me better done in The Force Unleashed; It is clear that they focused on the physics and the Force powers, leaving aside the lightsaber combat.

• 3 weeks later...

I still consider that the Star Wars brand is a drag on the Jedi Knight games: if Raven had never made Jedi Outcast and instead made a new IP about individuals with psychic abilities and hard light swords in a space age, then I think it would have been more successful and would not have to compete with other Star Wars games like KOTOR or copyright issues with EA and Disney.

the_raven and General Howard like this
  • 7 months later...