New competitive game with the JKA combat system?

So a few days ago I posted this on reddit with:
"JK:JA saberonly both TDM and duel were competetive on ESL for almost 15 years. The sabers and styles are already quite balanced, especially in 3v3. What a game like this probably needs is objectives, which would force the players to fight each other. Something like the conquest mode in the battlefront series."

What it should have is:

• Objectives, as I mentioned. Im not talking about siege or ctf, where one is chasing the other. TFFA is simply not enough either, because both sides often just play overly passive. We shouldn't reward the teams that are baiting their opponents or wont commit at all. The more intensive, more innovative, faster styles should win. (Btw I'm not saying ctf or siege isnt competitive or fun, but the saberonly is the most unique part of Jedi Academy MP so I would focus on that mostly.)
  • Getting rid of the very goofy looking or useless moves. For example the attack + cartwheel or the attack + backflip move where your characters hand stucks. Its useful for some, but its just very goofy looking.
  • It shouldn't reward bad or inaccurate plays that much. On a better engine with 64/128 tick servers everything would do damage (spins, 180 degree shaking). So buff the aim nerf the wiggle (or just nerf the wiggle, aim is already quite strong).
  • Getting rid of the "high ground meme"

And there are way more things probably.

I know EA wont make a game like this, because it wouldn't fit with the recent movies. Big starwars fans wouldn't like it either because the saberfights in JK looks nothing like this. I can agree with them, but I don't really care.

I want your opinion too since you know the most about JKA. Would a game developing company pick this up or not?

Idk. You cant just code a fully working multiplayer. And it could be a random sci-fi game anyways.

What I would do is making a few animations on the choosen engine and kickstart the whole thing with a 2-300k $ goal. So the developers would see that people are interested.

Simply going from for example this to this is not a github project (if you want it to be well optimized).

Or you can just look at quake champions too. If you want a high caliber game, you need to work with a developer company.

I'm going to take a stab here and say that a person who joined here two days ago is either trolling or doesn't know what we're capable of as a community.

Circa likes this

I know that you are quite dedicated, but you cant work on this full time. People at companies like ravensoftware are professional at either coding or designing.

I know that sooner or later you will make the combatsystem work but there are so many other things to do. 10-15 modders are not enough for this.

Atleast try kickstart it after a point. You can sell a project like this easily nowadays.

I know that you are quite dedicated, but you cant work on this full time. People at companies like ravensoftware are professional at either coding or designing.

I know that sooner or later you will make the combatsystem work but there are so many other things to do. 10-15 modders are not enough for this.

Atleast try kickstart it after a point. You can sell a project like this easily nowadays.

How many people are you expecting to see something like this done? 10-15 people working on it (there's even less than that working on Open Saber Project, I think maybe 5 people total?) seems pretty reasonable for a multiplayer-only title, where everything is already designed ahead of time. Skywind (Morrowind in Skyrim engine) has around 70 modders working on it and is hundreds of times larger in scope.

Actually, there are 4 official members of our development team and 3 contributors in our development chat. Of us all, Clyde is the only one who can realistically code anything important. The rest of us advise on detail work with the saber combat, create models and maps, write the lore, work on the UI layout, and other less essential functions. Yet OSP, in my opinion, is now further along in development from its one coder in an incredibly short period of time than most ordinary games would be. Circa's video is actually a much older version of the game, it's up to 0.0.0.3 now, with plenty more features including vastly better combat, more than one saber style, wallrunning, strafing, and better animations to name a few. Idk what he does, but it certainly seems like he works full time on it. Could've fooled me.

I say that to say this: A paid game needs a lot of people and gets done slowly because those people are just workers. But when a community has exceptional dedication to a game, every team member can easily be worth the value of five or six members in any other project. Heck, the guy who originally coded the combat system for all the JK games wasn't some highly trained super-professional like you seem to think, he was just a guy with dedication who made it his hobby to code games, and got picked up by raven.

Smoo likes this

I remember very little about the JKA/JK2 engine but with the use of modern game engines it shouldn't be too hard to recreate a JKA like experience.

Problem is the JKA graphics have aged quite well so I doubt anyone will play it just for better graphics. 

Also I wouldn't like a 128 player server. I've always enjoyed 20+ players on a small map like taspin.

It would be a interesting project if it happened though; I just suspect it will need to bring more to the table then shinier pixels. 

Smoo likes this