Playable Sprites

I wasn't sure if this fit better in Mod Requests or Modding Assistance, but it's here, for now. Okay, so pretty much I want to know if it's possible to basically play as a sprite. You know, playing as a 2D Image (*.png, *.tga, *.spr, etc.)

I have made an attempt using a saber with a custom effect (which failed miserably, as I don't know how *.efx files work)

Thanks guys :)

An interesting question.

We do have the ability to transform flat polygons into sprites that allways turn to the camera. You are limited to a still image or a continuous loop with max 8 frames with this though.

If that works for what you have in mind - yeah, should be possible to do.

But having "multi-sided sprites" like in the old DOOM 1/2 sadly won't be that easy to pull off, or atleast I don't have any ideas on how to do that.

Droidy365 and the_raven like this

What @@AshuraDX is saying basically works for what I'm thinking of doing. The question is: How would I make it playable as a playermodel/NPC, while still having it face the camera? Could some one possibly make an *.efx that's just a sprite that never disappears? Perhaps that could work...... Thanks, again :D

Also, @@Psyk0Sith also has a pretty good idea, but I would prefer having it face the camera :)

That being said, a model like that could be like a blank canvas - easier to work with. So yeah, I'm not sure what would be best.

@@Droidy365 there are 2 shader parameters you can use to turn something into a sprite, check the q3a shader manual for them. I should say that I have not yet tried these shader parms on a character model.

You have to keep in mind. That this will only allow a single still image on the surface that will allways turn to be dead-on the camera to every player - from any point of view

Droidy365 likes this

@@Droidy365 there are 2 shader parameters you can use to turn something into a sprite, check the q3a shader manual for them. I should say that I have not yet tried these shader parms on a character model.

You have to keep in mind. That this will only allow a single still image on the surface that will allways turn to be dead-on the camera to every player - from any point of view

If I recall wasn't there a way to animate a texture? I remember seeing something about getting a Rorschach face animated successfully. I don't know if that calls multiple textures and goes through them like frames of a gif or not though, or if it's just very clever shadering.

If I recall wasn't there a way to animate a texture? I remember seeing something about getting a Rorschach face animated successfully. I don't know if that calls multiple textures and goes through them like frames of a gif or not though, or if it's just very clever shadering.

that is correct, I have created that illusion using both - 2x 8 frames in an animMap shader and some clever shader magic to make the animation a lot smoother.

But that is only going to give you a never ending animation loop. And you can not change the texture animation by performing actions in the game.

Daedra likes this