Finally Found this gem..

Hey Community,

I decided to go through some old boxes and I came across a box full of old PC games which I used to play as a kid. I'm now 26 and have kids of my own. I then stumbled upon Jedi Academy.

I was astonished to see people still playing this magnificent game and decided to get a few games out and install. 

So I wanted to ask people (Sorry if there is a thread already) how do I play?

1. After Install what patches do I need?
  2. Is Multiplayer still active / what do I need to get online.?
  3. What mods are being used on the main popular servers?

Once again I'm pleased to hopefully start playing this amazing game again. I've also just started playing Battlefront 2 on "Gameranger" which is just as good. Personally they don't make games liek the used to. Like the old Strategy games old Age of empires, BF1942 the old Half life & mods.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Cheers everyone. 

Cerez likes this

A couple of years ago the game's source code has been released, since then the community has started maintaining the game, fixing bugs and making improvements (without changing the gameplay). This project is OpenJK, and it's compatible with most (all?) mods. The first official release will apparently be in the coming months, although preview builds are already available.

Pretty much what they said ^

You should be able to find people playing MBII pretty much any time of the day, several different several active servers running ja+ with a variety  of different communities, from competitive and social to role playing.

How are you confirming they are 64 bits? What error are you getting when trying to run it?

I haven't tried using OpenJK on Windows in months, but I'm not aware of any decisions to make it 64 bit only. I'm getting someone to confirm it at the moment.

EDIT: Downloaded the files, they all seem to be 32 bit. @@mrwonko just checked the PE header, they're 32 bit binaries.

Are you not talking about Windows?

I was not sure it was 64bits. I assumed it was 64bits because each time I tried to run other 64bits applications on my computer, I had the same message.

I have a Windows XP SP3 (32bits).

The error message is :

"openjk.x86.exe n'est pas une application Win32 valide". (= openjk.x86.exe is not a valid Win32 application)

I have the same message with the lastest MBII version.

Older versions (MBII 1.0.1 and OpenJK from Februar and March work without problem)

Sounds like it's due to using new compilers for newer language features (> VS2010 with C++11) - not sure how feasible it is to reintroduce XP support. It's 12 years old, hasn't received support for years.

If you change the build platform toolset to v120_xp instead of v120, it should be fine.

We know this, but its not a simple task to have it set up via buildbot and CMake without affecting the rest of people building on their own.

if it's a problem for you, I will change my computer in a few month, so you don't need to change all your build platform just for me.

During this lap time, I will use old buids of OpenJK.

And MBII needs too much power for my poor computer.

I was waiting for Windows 10, because Windows 8 did not seduce me, and Windows 7's support will be stopped in 2020 (in 5 years only).

But  more I heard about Windows 10,  less I am convinced it will be a good OS.

I can totally understand your dilemma. Heck, you can't even buy Windows 7 in stores anymore!

If I had to choose between Windows 8.1 and 10, though, I'd choose 8.1. But both are shit for work, but at least with 8.1 you can ignore the app stupidities because of the dual design -- and it works like 7 for the most part. With 10 you're forced right into the app fiasco. I predict it will be a total nightmare to work with it.