Has anyone considered making a modern Jedi Knight Game?

I don't know about you guys but I feel that these games really need to be redone from the ground up, I've been wanting to remaster both Jedi Academy and Outcast for many years but I don't really possess the skills/ talents needed to do so. I thought it would be pretty sweet to have a Jedi Knight game where you still play as Jaden Korr or Kyle Katarn in a whole new engine that would support realistic physics and awesome lightsaber duels. The levels would be entirely different but the voice acting and story line would remain unscathed. I wish I could make this possible but it's a huge project to endure (from what I assume) and would take a very long time to re-create, oh and just for fun add a sandbox mode where you can just mess around with the physics and NPC's (Similar to the FarCry franchise). I hope somehow this inspires somebody who has a hundred times more experience than I do. Because I assume Disney or any game company won't have a remake of these great Star Wars games anytime in the future. Sure there is The Force Unleashed but that has many downsides and it doesn't have that charm like both Jedi Knight games had.  

Topic moved to Jedi Knight Discussion forum.

This is something that is brought up on this forum monthly. Search around. I personally am getting a bit tired of seeing it brought up over and over but there's nothing I can do about that.

Yes, everyone here wants a new JK game or remaster.
No, nothing has been successfully done yet.
Yes, there are projects in the works in this modding community doing really great things. Check out OpenJK/Rend2 and the Warzone project. Some good stuff will be coming from the DR2 mod team as well.
No, making a new Star Wars game without permission from Lucasfilm or Disney is not possible (even though many groups think it is, they will get a C&D eventually)

Lancelot, Smoo and DarkOrchids like this

We had a nice thread in which there were talks about re-doing the Jedi Knight series in the Unreal engine, but I can't seem to find it. 

Even though everybody would love to see this game with a better engine, the chances of that happening are real slim since it's a lot of work and there's always the small chance of getting sued by Disney. The best way to grasp the scope of what it'd take to re-do a game is to get deep into the modding scene, the amount of work needed to do some very simple things, like a small singleplayer mission, is gigantic. Doing that from the ground up would be an even bigger gargantuan task. 

DarkOrchids likes this

Small chance of getting sued, sure. Chance of getting a C&D is almost guaranteed.

Very relevant link was posted in the discord the other day.

Skip to "SOME ANSWERS TO VERY COMMON QUESTIONS"

Excerpt:

No, you can't make a damn fan game. Yes, it's infringing. No, it doesn't matter others do it. O.J. got away with murder, don't try to do it yourself though. I've seen so many developer lives ruined (lost home, wife, kids, etc) all because of a silly fan game. These companies are brutal about protecting their IP. The reason you never hear about it? All settlements come with an NDA that makes it so no one can write or talk about it.

DarkOrchids and Circa like this
  • 1 month later...

I honestly didn't expect anyone to respond to this whatsoever, it was just an idea to see if it would spark anyone's interest. I was not aware that this topic is brought up quite often, although I did expect there to be a few out there. Just thought it would be neat. It's a shame these companies are so brutal with this, I hope the modding community for this game never dies, May the Force be with you all. -DarkOrchids