Can anyone help me with blending these two images together for part of a skybox?

Hey, I really need some help here, I'm trying to make a new yavin IV skybox and I found the perfect jungle template. I also found a good image of a red gas giant planet that will stand in for the yavin planet, from the perspective of being on the fourth moon.

I tried to cut the planet out to fit above the treeline in GIMP but the issue is that there are clouds in the atmosphere, which would not be behind a planet, so I don't know how to get the image so that the planet can be seen through the clouds. Can anyone help me with this?

Here is the jungle backdrop that i want to superimpose the planet in the background of:

AdNw3c7.jpg

and here is the still of the red gas giant:

T33gjWH.jpg

ooeJack likes this

Very nice man, thanks a bunch!  You got the size more accurate than Boothand, but they're both great interpretations.The only thing I would try to add would be to somehow get it behind the cloud layer, it's not easily possible given the cloudy nature of the background, but everytime I try it in GIMP it just either makes it transparent or puts fog renders on it that don't look like part of the original background.

JAWSFreelao likes this

Size can vary a lot depending on the distance. I'm not aware of any type of orbiting distance from Yavin 4, but as a reference, here is the apparent size of Jupiter as seen from the surface of the main moons, Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto:

Io:

io-jupiter.jpg

Europa:

europa-jupiter.jpg

Ganymede:

ganimede-jupiter.jpg

Callisto:

callisto-jupiter.jpg

Canonically Yavin is about 1/3 bigger than Jupiter, so you could scale it up accordingly. Being the fourth moon, Yavin 4 could potentially be quite "far" from the planet.

Smoo likes this