Humbling

Alright so as many of you know I'm currently working on Jedi's Home 3. The project is going great so far, however I know I can go further if I can get the right advice. My own teacher Darth G has been gone for many years and there were many things at the time I didn't know, still don't understand, and despite my research just can't find the right answers, advice, tutorial's for; involving vis, prt files, setting up some of the newer tools like the 64 bit compiler etc.

To describe my scenario a bit, I'm currently running a 64 bit system I've downloaded the new gtk, the micro visuals you need etc, installed everything to the best of my knowledge and yet there just still some oddities I cant get working correctly.
For instance no matter what compiler (q3map2) I use, it ends up using only at max 4 gigs of my ram, I have 12 damn it XD I want to use it and stop dreading such a short sighted limit. So I could really use advice/guidance setting this new gen shit up and getting it working correctly etc. Hell I've used gtk 1.5 for years now, and 1.6 looks sexy, but it wont function right for some reason. An example being it's correctly pointed at my gamedata folder, yet for some reason keeps making a duplicate base inside my base and wont load textures etc. XD WTF!!!!!!!!

As far as vis, I'm not exactly an idiot, I know how to correctly build a map using 45's, caulk, areaportal, hallways, areaportals, antiportals detailing/structural. But theirs still some I don't understand, for instance hint, never could get it to work right XD, prt files what exactly am I seeing here??? How do I understand this in a way my retarded ass can comprehend and use it to my advantage.
I pride myself on how clean my .map files are and my use of the correct methods as best I know, but I am LIMITED by what I don't know or understand.

To sum it up, I need a new teacher for some of the things that tutorials just arnt making sense to me on, and to help me maximize my capabilities via my computer's potential... Preferably some one who can voice chat, skype, ts, discord, fb chat some sort of voice com where I can really ask what I want or need to know clearly. Where examples can be easily swapped and explained. XD

Embarrassing as it is, I need to know more and tut's just don't help this A.D.D. old guy XD HAHA

ooeJack and Noodle like this

I did manage to get the most recent version of q3map2 I could find finally running right. I am currently using the one that comes with gtk 1.6 Not a hundred percent if thats the most recent in the whole world but it did finally allow me to use my full cpu and ram without safe mallocing out like a lil B.

Also took some more time and reread some of the old hinting etc tutorials. I dnk if I'm just an idiot or what but it still doesn't work right for me. However just general decent layout and -V + Areaportals etc seems to be keeping the FPS happily at 90+ Minus when you turn on D glow for some area's of course. I did finally managed to figure out anti portal, must say that's incredibly useful!

I guess my biggest question is what am I doing wrong via Hinting. I understand the concept, I understand how to lay my brushes out etc. However a compile before and after renders no difference under any circumstances when using tris view. :/ MEH!!!!!!!!!