UE4 feasibility test (porting Kejim WiP)

After digging into and implementing UE4's animation system(s) I am very optimistic...

Does anyone have any combat animations?  I was able to download some from Adobe's Mixamo site (everything there is free for the time being), and I managed to use quite a few for the combat system I'm working on, but you can never have enough.  And I suck really bad at animating.

i'd be down to help, i use to work with FrontWire Studios on the SWGIT project before they got shut down and i left before they got dcmaed

, although i never really got use to ue4 but if someone showed me the way i'm sure i'd learn quick.

Thanks NightShadow.  Any help is always welcome.  As soon as I have something basic (bare bones) in place, then I will know and be much more specific on exactly what and were help will be needed.

When it comes to a project using the Jedi Knight combat to make a modern game I'd gladly help out. I would have already started something like this if I was good in coding. Making it completely open source and let everyone contribute would be a good idea then (as mentioned). But again, porting content from Jedi Knight 2 or even just using intellectual property will lead to problems if the project attracts some attention. Personally I would focus completely on the multiplayer and rebuild some of the JKA/JK2 maps.

Agree 100% - focus right now is only on multiplayer.  

I'm not sure if Disney would give a shit if nobody is making money off the IP.

By the way, the combat system I've built so far was done without writing a single line of code.  UE4's visual scripting system can be used instead.  I thought Epic Games was just talking bullshit when they would say you could build an entire game using only visual scripting - but they were right.  Funny this is, I'm a software developer and I know C++, but I've yet to even use it on my project.

Aidor likes this

From what I see, the goal of this project is merely to show that it is possible to transfer the assets of Jedi Outcast to Unreal Engine 4.

And because most of the assets are taken 1:1 from the original game, we can't expect that the whole thing will automatically transform into a better looking map.

The whole revising can be done later, when the main goal is done.

Personally, I think this is a great project. There is so much potential. It would be interesting to see every map reimagined into a modern engine.

And by the way, is it possible to put all the maps from a mission seamlessly together? I mean, for example, Kejim has two chapters, Kejim Base and Kejim Post.

Putting both together would make a complete map.Technically speaking yes, however in radiant it would be a logistical nightmare and in ue4 even worse, sections would need moved and rerouted as when you bring the maps together and connect them rooms from one would be going into the other rooms etc

Sadly Raven's designers didn't work from a blue print first as many of us more modern developers do. They just built with goals driving the layout.

god really want to try it out :D

I will never understand this. I'd love to play around in this kejim port of ClydeFrog, but this video is ugly af. Every bad material work is simply overblended by super gloss. Then every where the same stupid detail normalmap that would imply the materials are rough, but then again, super gloss. An example, a metal floor where like a hundred stormies walked over is smooth like polished glass? Thats simply stupid.

They should start making proper pbr textures and hand them over to eezstreet for his JK:Enhanced. :P

eezstreet, Langerd, DT. and 1 other like this

I will never understand this. I'd love to play around in this kejim port of ClydeFrog, but this video is ugly af. Every bad material work is simply overblended by super gloss. Then every where the same stupid detail normalmap that would imply the materials are rough, but then again, super gloss. An example, a metal floor where like a hundred stormies walked over is smooth like polished glass? Thats simply stupid.

They should start making proper pbr textures and hand them over to eezstreet for his JK:Enhanced. :P

Yeah for me everything here looked very shiny but in the bad way ... working on textures + good map maker = very amazing even not very detail brushes/overall structure of the map with good looking textures. 

The only thing is kinda cool is that it is possible. And People here on Hub Who Have experience in newer engines can try to make the game on newer engine! I heard that UE4 Is rly great 

Looks like the roughness is way too low, and the roughness maps are too high contrast, leading to a "wet" look on almost everything, which is made even worse with UE4's screen space reflections.