Attempting to Remaster JK3

Noobie modder here, I've only done artistic stuff in the past, not so much script work. I have compiled together a bunch of mods in an attempt to revamp the single player of Jedi Academy completely, to make it a more immersive and enjoyable experience.

I need direction, and I'm willing to do the work to get my vision done. I need to be able to edit the individual SP maps, in terms of NPC placement and scripted events.

Which programs can I use for this?

I also want to access each of the original maps coding so that I can put a different music track to each level, some single player levels overlap in terms of which tracks they use for ambience/action. They are all .bsp files.

Is there anyone here who has edited the SP levels before or knows how to go about doing it? 

I have experience in sound engineering, check out my youtube channel to see my Star Wars homages. 

I will explain more later, in a hurry at the moment about to head out the door, so rushed first post, but this is a project already near completion.

General Howard and Smoo like this

Music editing: yon can opn the dinamic sound track file (dms.dat) inside ext_data with notepad and edit the tracks of map level with this file, replacing also the musics inside music folder (action, explore, and various intermedium sequence music ) with your new edited tracks.

Map Editing: for map edit is used gtk radiant 1.5.0 but you need the ja SDK tools for working with that. you can decompile the maps with a batch process with the q3map2 compiler include with gtk radiant. BUT:

- decompiled maps can get horrible holies and structural problems.

- decompiled maps lose all texture allignement uvmapping.

- decompiled maps lose all lighting entities information.

so the best way, without decompiling a map, is using the entity modding and ent modding system with openjk. check around the forum about all this threads. we are fully discuss about all these things in the past.

And also, there is problem of intellectual properties of the map. many modder and editor are protectives of they job so you need to contact the author of a map before editing the map. the forum policy regard file upload avoid to upload contains of other mods without original author permissions.

General Howard likes this

Thanks!

In regards to the music, for example, yavin2, vjun1, and t3_rift all use the same music folder which is "yavin2" in assets0.pk3 I want to give vjun1 and t3_rift each their own music, meaning new explore/action/enter & exit combat cues for each individual level, I found dms.dat and have been playing around with it for a little. Here's some interesting stuff: 

It's also the same for other levels, i.e.:

t1_rail, t2_trip, t3_stamp all use the "t1_rail" music folder

t1_sour and t3_bounty use the "t1_sour" music folder

hoth2 / hoth3 use "hoth2" music folder

t2_wedge and t3_hevil use "t2_wedge" music folder

vjun2 / taspir1 / taspir2 all use the "vjun2" music folder

the rest of the levels have their own tracks respectively

My first goal s to give all 26 levels in JK3 their own unique level music. Too many rancor cues in all the tracks lol. How do I create new music folders in addition to editing the already existing ones? I could overwrite yavtemp2, yavin_final, alienha, yavtrial, BespinA, and ImpBaseC, all music folders from Jedi Outcast that appear in JK3's dms.dat - I have all of John Williams  Original Trilogy music broken up into small mp3 cues that can be used for explore / action/ and itnermedium tracks. It's just a matter of assigning them in a smooth and fluent manner to each levels environment. 

Then once new ones are made, wouldn't I have to edit the maps in order to change the maps music? Or does dms.dat override which maps play which music?

Asgarath83 likes this

i checked a lot of map in radiant and not seem music are setted in worldspawn, so i suppose they are applied by code with dms.dat so editing this file maybe you can reach your goal.

For edit track for atr \ etr \ action \ explore theme, you can use audacity i guess or any other software audio editing program :)

rancor track is common to alls because siths are nasty like rancors! :D  XDDD

however... should be difficult change music to corellia, zonju V and tanaab level (t1_rail, t2_trip and t3_stamp) it's a monothematic action trace. i fear is definied into map worldspawn.

yes, they are.

music

music/t1_rail/rail_nowhere.mp3 into worldspawn. you cannot change that. i doubt you can do with entity modding because worldspawn changing should require map rebuilding i fear.  (i am not sure of that. @@Cerez maybe know the answer. )

General Howard likes this

i doubt you can do with entity modding because worldspawn changing should require map rebuilding i fear.  (i am not sure of that. @@Cerez maybe know the answer. )

With entity modding you can, yes. You can change both worldspawn and local music/sound triggers to something different. But you will need to build the mod for OpenJK instead of the retail game (unless you want to have to hex edit).

I've made all the tracks for each level, now I'm just stumbling about trying to figure out all the JK3 modder lingo. Worldspawn is the configuration of the levels in OpenJK? I'm still new to learning about OpenJK, but I have all these mods I've been working on for years, mostly ideas, and I'm just recently finding the time to implement them. 

I've made all the tracks for each level, now I'm just stumbling about trying to figure out all the JK3 modder lingo. Worldspawn is the configuration of the levels in OpenJK? I'm still new to learning about OpenJK, but I have all these mods I've been working on for years, mostly ideas, and I'm just recently finding the time to implement them. 

Worldspawn is on every map, not just OpenJK. It's classified as an entity that contains various level info properties for the whole level.

Worldspawn is a poor example though of what an "entity" is in this engine. Entity refers to anything in the level that isn't hard geometry - spawn points are an entity, NPCs are an entity, etc. Worldspawn does not actually get spawned, its values get copied deep into the code and discarded.

Smoo likes this