meshes and limitations?

Okay so I started experimenting for a model with pure meshes, and I encountered either a bug, or a limitation of the mesh

model_fail.jpg

This is a screenshot from out of radiant. Everything matches on the grid, even when very close zoomed in

shot0077.jpg

this is a in game shot, where you can see the gaps. Now i know meshes should be avoided (not always, but indeed unreliable) but since we talk about a graphical rendering here on a "in terms for the game" high end computer, is there something going wrong in the compile proces?

I remember somewhere it may have to do with subdivisions set. The higher the sub divisions the rounder the image i believe, or am i wrong. Is there any way to set this?

What you're experiencing isn't actually the result of a broken map, it's the game optimizing a little too overzealously.

Try adjusting the cvar, I think the name is, r_lodCurveError.

It won't always help. When all else fails, the only other solution is to fill those holes manually, with a patch or a brush, either right on spot, or just a little lower, to give the illusion that there are no holes in the geometry.

eezstreet likes this

In certain cases mappers used simple brushes, placed behind the mesh – this was of course used on the constructions, which are only seen by the Players from a distance, and not necessarily can be reached. This is also used by some, when they make a canyon, and unnecessary holes pop up between mountains and rocks.