New SP Project

This old style ... Old gaming atmosphere shaping.. I Love it! <3

Old usually means easier. hehe. Well, lots of reference images anyhow. A lot of Star Wars locations are real world and I always wanted to do a WW2 theme so this was kinda the best of both worlds.

Since my last post I've been tinkering with terrain around the house and its going slow. I'm going to cut down the size a bit more and it should look better. From the barn in the above image there will be a small farmed field behind that and another building, like a large shed or something. 

What I'm not sure is the borders of the terrain. I'm thinking hedgerows and stone walls along with trees and stuff. 

Smoo likes this

Check out Game Level Builder 2.22 (GLB 2.22 is free and so is GMax) for GMax and 3ds Max...

GMax:

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Refer to Turbosquid link & help for gmax installation; and here is another installation tutorial:

http://www.elvastower.com/tuts/gmax01/installation/installation.html

GLB 2.22:

http://maple3d.com/Convexity/GLB2.htm

That's a pretty neat tool there but by the time i learn it I can do all i need with Radiant 1.4

Just for an update I'm working on the back end of the house where this map will start. Its going to be a sorta rice paddy type thing. I should have some stuff textured and compiled later on tonight. 

So here is some quickly textured stuff that I'm working on. These aren't blended textures and are just stock, in game stuff for now.

I plan on doing something with the field. In between the water is a raised part a few units high which I want to put some sort of vegetation growing in a row. The stock models suck for this so if anyone has anything that would look good here send it my way. I'm not sure about keeping the water it is just there to show some height difference.

shot2016-11-25_23-48-28_zps6q9wm7zb.jpg

Here is a shot of the barn and side yard. In front of this will be a road and some more buildings. I'm probably going to make these buildings mostly stone since it seems that I can find more free stone textures than anything else like worn plaster. I'll probably frame the buildings in wood which should give them a good look.

shot2016-11-25_23-49-48_zpsebgkyssa.jpg

therfiles and Smoo like this

So here is some quickly textured stuff that I'm working on. These aren't blended textures and are just stock, in game stuff for now.

I plan on doing something with the field. In between the water is a raised part a few units high which I want to put some sort of vegetation growing in a row. The stock models suck for this so if anyone has anything that would look good here send it my way. I'm not sure about keeping the water it is just there to show some height difference.

shot2016-11-25_23-48-28_zps6q9wm7zb.jpg

Here is a shot of the barn and side yard. In front of this will be a road and some more buildings. I'm probably going to make these buildings mostly stone since it seems that I can find more free stone textures than anything else like worn plaster. I'll probably frame the buildings in wood which should give them a good look.

shot2016-11-25_23-49-48_zpsebgkyssa.jpg

If you'll pardon my step in. If you're hoping for more Star Warsy look a good inspiration would be the farmland of Cut Laqwuane (?) as seen in TCW.

Perhaps it just rained ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the water is a nice touch. Probably a better water shader and a lower level might make it look just right.

Perhaps it just rained ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the water is a nice touch. Probably a better water shader and a lower level might make it look just right.

I planned on making a small canal off to the side of this location and maybe having a pipe come from the canal to a pump in a shed at the back of the field. Then, running some pipe into the flooded field. I'm probably going to follow that tutorial here regarding the clear water shader in the tutorial section. I'll keep posting new images with new textures as I find them as the building continue.

Also, it is going to rain. This is a rainy, overcast planet so weather will come in to effect in all the maps outside. Worse comes to worse I can do snow but I'd rather rain and green stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I've redone this section a few times and now I'm pretty happy with the design. I made terrain brushes in 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, and 512x512 which allows me to pretty much do what I want wherever I want. This is all about 500 brushes in the image below, including the barn and wall which is 10x smaller in brush count than the images i posted last time. And, its larger.

Behind the barn is made from terrain brushes as is the furthest left section as you can see. The non-joined brush there is a 512x512 in the bottom left. A stone wall will go around this field and it moves up and down with the elevation of the brushes as well. I've also been messing around with making trees from brushes and they aren't too shabby for distance stuff. I'm trying to see if I can use the same technique to make shrubbery to use as a border like in the Call of Duty Games.

From here there will be a road to a larger chateu or manor house then to the trenches. So, that is how I'm going to tie all this together.

farm1jpg_zpsmksxqrjt.jpg

Very interesting this project I think would look good with some m4 sherman. But the terrain you have created is quite good. keep it up  :winkthumb:

Tank m4 sherman

Call%20of%20Duty%20Roads%20to%20Victory_

Very interesting this project I think would look good with some m4 sherman. But the terrain you have created is quite good. keep it up  :winkthumb:

Tank m4 sherman

Call%20of%20Duty%20Roads%20to%20Victory_

a repulsor lift tank maybe, not a sherman!  :lol:

Its slow going creation wise but the terrain is really smooth. I'm working on more of it now and just going section by section. 

An imageless update, but things are going well. Starting to work on the road from the barn to the manor house. The field will now be a vineyard. Decided this would work well with a manor house. I raised the barn about 40 units higher than the road, so the path from the barn to the road kinda angles downward and gives the road a lower look even though its flat, but bumpy.

Until i get blended textures made its going to be rather difficult to show how its supposed to look but i may post an image later on tonight.

scp_chaos1 likes this

Here is a bit more terrain added in. Behind the barn in the field will be a vineyard. Blame it on the TNG episode I saw Saturday where Picard visits the family vineyard on Earth :)

The raised area behind the wall in hte middle of the image will be trees. The road will make a left turn and work its way up to a manor house. There will be a path the player has to take and ways will be blocked and stuff but you get the idea. This map will take place at night time as well.

I'm making the playable part first. and then going to go back and build the non-playable parts.

1400 brushes total so far which I'm pretty happy with. 

ter3_zpsonhuhpgs.jpg

scp_chaos1 likes this

Here is a shot of the level from the view of where the manor house will be. Outside the of the yard around the house and some land around the barn this is pretty much done for playable outdoor area.  

manor1_zpsspme9hgt.jpg

The manor house is going to look similar to this. The first and last image of this place (in the link) are what I'm using for reference for the house and the road towards it.

http://www.dordognerental.com/rental-properties/manorhouses/near-bergerac/le-bourdil-blanc.html

Now I am going to have to get the blended textures created for the grass/dirt and dirt/rock and whatever else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally get to update this with textured terrain. Not much,  but , it is a start. The grass texture is going to be changed cause it tiles too much. Looks too distorted when its made larger. The wall texture is from Textures.com. 15 free downloads per day which isn't too bad.

shot2016-12-31_21-54-39_zpswayafote.jpg

This bottom shot is the larger field area which might get cut down a bit. Byond the wall  there is raised terrain ( caulked ) which I want to put trees on. So, most of the background here would be trees. The inside the wall area is either going to either be empty and dirt or have some smaller vegetation in it.

shot2016-12-31_21-55-07_zps5zieroat.jpg

So, if anyone has any ideas or models or textures or thoughts let me know.

scp_chaos1 likes this

Redesigned the barn by making the roof a bit more angular in the middle and then the side addition ate up some open space. Probably going to change the wood texture to something colored but the roof is staying put. The area I'm standing in will be gated shut and the player won't be able to be in here but for now its open.

shot2017-01-01_23-07-32_zpsado5lm0z.jpg