A few suggestions to JKE

I just played through the SP missions with JKE, the mod is epic as I expected. But there's always room for improvement. So here are a few things that I think would vastly improve this already wonderfull mod.

Force Repulse

This thing is pretty useless in its current form. It takes quite long to charge up and the player gets shot / chopped to pieces while it happens. For all the Force it consumes, one could unleash a Lightning that kills everyone in the room way before Repulse could be used at all. The animation and that bubble effect thingy isn't looking very good either. I suggest scrapping it completely, and replacing it with something more usefull.

Force Destruct

Currently, Force Protect can be used to defend against this power (and Push, of course). This should be changed to Force Absorb so it would be in tune with the JK1 variant of the power. A new icon would be nice too.

Force Stasis

I found this to be very, very OP. This power can paralyse any non Force-using NPC for 15 seconds, including enemies like the Mutant Rancor and Boba Fett. Its also has very long range. I suggest it to be reworked in the following way:

-its range should be reduced

-its duration should be 5 seconds for all three levels

-should not affect droids, rancors, and "enemies with strong will" ie.: Boba Fett

-instead of its range and duration increasing with the levels, the number of enemies affected should. On level 1 it should only stun the targeted enemy. On level 2, it should paralyse enemies in a cone in front of the Jedi. On level 3, the power should stun all enemies around the Jedi. This way the power would not be OP, but remain usefull. A new icon would be nice too, as the current one is much more fitting for the Force Blinding power that is appearently under development.

Force Insanity

Currently, this power kills lesser enemies instantly on level 3, I have no idea why, this is not how Force Fear / Insanity is supposed to work. Force Instanity is essentially the Dark Side counterpart of Force Stun, both achieve the same effect but with slightly different methods. Force Stun simply shuts down the brain of the victims, while Force Fear / Insanity overloads it with uncontrollable, primal fear. A new icon for this power would be nice, because the current one is much more fitting for Force Deadly Sight that is under development.

Detachable E-Web

I loved it, but there are three minor issues.

First, when detaching the E-Web, the explosion from the tripod mount wounds the player. There should be no explosion at all.

Second, losing the ability to jump drastically reduces the usefullness of the weapon. For example, using them on hoth2 is impossible in some cases, as even the smallest obstancles can't be scaled while holding an E-Web. I suggest that the E-Web should not prevent the player from doing normal, non-Force powered jumps.

And finally, the animations could use some improvement. Carrying that bigass laser gun on the shoulder is the most badass thing I've ever seen in JKA, but when my character starts holding it like an E-11 blaster rifle while walking, with the gun halfway clipping into the ground, it just ruins the experience. I suggest that the gun should be kept on the character's shoulder in the same position all the time as when it's firing.

That is all for now, I hope the mod's not dead, because JKA was never as much fun as it is with all the new stuff added by this mod. I spammed the WIP Deadly Sight power like no tomorrow, burning everyone in my path. 10/10 would do it again.

redsaurus likes this
  • 2 months later...

actually, here's what i think should be changed in the mod:

1. Make repulse a bit more powerful and a bit less sucky, like make it at level 3 actually disintegrate enemies with the disruptor's effect, and change the anim and loop sound different

2. Add ALL of the JK2 features missing from ja, like the galak_mech and the gravity feat, and also the hud from jo

3. have the bryar pistol and dl-44 use the same weapon bind like mots did, like when having the bryar selected, press 2 again to switch to the dl-44, and press 2 again to use the bryar

4. force power enhancements: the ability for grip to hold more enemies as fp level increases, and make lightning not push enemies back that much with the g_knockback level set at like 2000

5. add sfx saber look options, like mbII options, which adds a kylo ren unstable effect, newer rgb blade effects, which i can use to actually make a blade effect similar to maw's blade in dfII, which should also be added in :)

6. a really big one, which will DEFINITELY take time, and i would recommend not doing it until AFTER version 2.0 is done, adding in ALL the weapons from mbII :D

7. make force deadly sight not kill allies (definitely wip without a force power icon or strings for it)

8. make all force powers have a level 4 feat like jk and mots (probably not possible but could give it a go)

Edited by swagmaster
TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Here's my feedback.

Positives:

1. The RGB Saber is AMAZING and it makes the sabers look more like the ones we see in the movies and in Movie Battles II. This is also PERFECT for machinima makers, as they can all go to an RGB list like the one Eez showed me (Here: http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp) to learn how to use it to the best it can be. :)

2. The addition of extra powers and weapons actually ADDS variety to the game and gives it a new fresh coat of paint. I have a feeling there is NO LIMIT to how many weapons you can add to the game. :)

3. The Real View option actually adds to the realism and it is what the first person view SHOULD have been in the beginning. Props to you guys for making it possible. Especially with using a lightsaber. :D

4. Having the characters be more likely to be sliced in half or beheaded is PERFECT. I cannot tell you how many times I kept bisecting or beheading an imperial officer sending him to his doom off a cliffside in the FFA4 map in SP. XD

Negatives:

1. From what I understand, since this is built off of the OpenJK engine, it has the same GLM issues. It crashed on me a few times because of that. :(

2. Relating to issue 1, whenever someone uses Force Lightning level 2 on a target like a Stormtrooper, sometimes the game crashes too. I have a feeling it's because of the GLM issues.

3. I can give the NPCs the new powers, but they don't use them (As far as "I" know. If anyone saw their NPCs use the new powers, let me know.). If that could be fixed, that'd be awesome.

Suggestions:

1. @ beat me to it. But maybe you can add a different animation instead of the swimming one when you charge Repulse? It looks a bit...flunky.

2. Not just the features from JK2, but also the animations combined with the JKA skeleton. Yes, I know. That was requested over 9000 times and there would be complications and such, but if there's even a slim chance of it working, then I say: *In Palpatine's voice* Do it.

3. Another from @ regarding the DL-44 and Bryar. :)

4. Try increasing the saber lock frequency a bit more than normal. At least to give the game a bit more of a challenge and have the option to allow sabers to lock even more than usual.

5. And this is a personal one: If the combined JKA with JK2 animations can be used to add custom animations like the for those like @@katanamaru do, then that would be AMAZING.

There ya go @@eezstreet, @@redsaurus. Hope 2.0 is even more badass than 1.0 whenever you guys finish it. :)

swegmaster likes this

Here's my feedback.

Positives:

1. The RGB Saber is AMAZING and it makes the sabers look more like the ones we see in the movies and in Movie Battles II. This is also PERFECT for machinima makers, as they can all go to an RGB list like the one Eez showed me (Here: http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp) to learn how to use it to the best it can be. :)

2. The addition of extra powers and weapons actually ADDS variety to the game and gives it a new fresh coat of paint. I have a feeling there is NO LIMIT to how many weapons you can add to the game. :)

3. The Real View option actually adds to the realism and it is what the first person view SHOULD have been in the beginning. Props to you guys for making it possible. Especially with using a lightsaber. :D

4. Having the characters be more likely to be sliced in half or beheaded is PERFECT. I cannot tell you how many times I kept bisecting or beheading an imperial officer sending him to his doom off a cliffside in the FFA4 map in SP. XD

Negatives:

1. From what I understand, since this is built off of the OpenJK engine, it has the same GLM issues. It crashed on me a few times because of that. :(

2. Relating to issue 1, whenever someone uses Force Lightning level 2 on a target like a Stormtrooper, sometimes the game crashes too. I have a feeling it's because of the GLM issues.

3. I can give the NPCs the new powers, but they don't use them (As far as "I" know. If anyone saw their NPCs use the new powers, let me know.). If that could be fixed, that'd be awesome.

Suggestions:

1. @ beat me to it. But maybe you can add a different animation instead of the swimming one when you charge Repulse? It looks a bit...flunky.

2. Not just the features from JK2, but also the animations combined with the JKA skeleton. Yes, I know. That was requested over 9000 times and there would be complications and such, but if there's even a slim chance of it working, then I say: *In Palpatine's voice* Do it.

3. Another from @ regarding the DL-44 and Bryar. :)

4. Try increasing the saber lock frequency a bit more than normal. At least to give the game a bit more of a challenge and have the option to allow sabers to lock even more than usual.

5. And this is a personal one: If the combined JKA with JK2 animations can be used to add custom animations like the for those like @@katanamaru do, then that would be AMAZING.

There ya go @@eezstreet, @@redsaurus. Hope 2.0 is even more badass than 1.0 whenever you guys finish it. :)

yep, i agree m8 :)

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

For the saber locks you can make a .sab file with a command line to make them more likely I believe. I can't remember what it is off hand.

Since this is a SP mod I'm highly interested in helping with animations. I'm rusty to be sure, and I'm only interested in gameplay animations not cut scenes. Though I'm only interested in coming back if adding saber styles to SP becomes possible in practice, and not just theory. 

That being said, new walking and such animations are easy for me to do. I modded the basic walking and running animations to be easy to make. Less than 30 mins of work.

swegmaster and TheWhitePhoenix like this

For the saber locks you can make a .sab file with a command line to make them more likely I believe. I can't remember what it is off hand.

Since this is a SP mod I'm highly interested in helping with animations. I'm rusty to be sure, and I'm only interested in gameplay animations not cut scenes. Though I'm only interested in coming back if adding saber styles to SP becomes possible in practice, and not just theory. 

That being said, new walking and such animations are easy for me to do. I modded the basic walking and running animations to be easy to make. Less than 30 mins of work.

okay, could you try making a new repulse anim for when you first use repulse?

I was thinking E-Web first if I make anything. That'd be easier and a good way for me to get back into it. I imagine any repulse I did right now would be pretty terrible. 

Though downside is when I last tried Redsaur's mod it didn't work right for me. So before anything gets made I'd have to get it working.

I was thinking E-Web first if I make anything. That'd be easier and a good way for me to get back into it. I imagine any repulse I did right now would be pretty terrible. 

Though downside is when I last tried Redsaur's mod it didn't work right for me. So before anything gets made I'd have to get it working.

I still have your old MOTS animations as well for the old MOTS mod. If you could recreate all the DF2 animations with the new skeleton, that would be amazing. But I'm having a hunch that will be LATER down the line when you wipe the dust and rust off of your skills. :)

Indeed. 

I'd also like to get a new pc to use the better mod tools than Dragon. Though I've been saying that for literally years...  <_<

Whenever you can, dude. Katana, you are a LEGEND among this community for your animations and I CANNOT tell you how many JKA videos I saw with the makers using YOUR Clone Wars animations. That's how good you are. :D