Better skyboxes - Thoughts, ideas and suggestions

I'm starting this topic so we can discuss the skyboxes used in Jedi Academy. In my opinion, some of them are outdated and need a makeover. Many of them are giving you

the impression that you are in something that seems to be the only location of the entire planet. Most of the skyboxes need a richer and immersive environment.

I know that the maps are rather defined by how they are built, but skyboxes are still a vital part of them.

Yavin

yavin_bk_zpsqwnab1gv.jpg

Everything seems fine at first. The forest is there, the moon is there. But wait! Where are the temples?

What this skybox needs: A dense forest with darker trees and some temples.

Tatooine

desert_bk_zpsohjsuuyo.jpg

Garbage! Doesn't look like Tatooine, doesn't feel like it either. Utter flatness combined with sand that looks like concrete.

On top of that, the Twin Suns are missing.

What this skybox needs: Just put in everything that really looks and feels like Tatooine, especially the Twin Suns.

Korriban

korb_bk_zpsdy4qvgr1.jpg

Not a bad one actually. But again, it's one of those skyboxes that gives you the impression of being at the only location of the entire planet.

What this skybox needs: A few more temples would be nice to see.

Vjun

vu_ft_zpsje2csvsf.jpg

There is something in this skybox that just doesn't look right. There are rocks, hills and a large sea. I assume that it wants to give you a sense of loneliness, which is fine,

but it shouldn't look so depressing.

What this map needs: The concept is good. But the brown-ish and foggy background should be replaced with something that reveals more of the location.

• 3 months later...

Guys, I've found another skybox that needs a better version.

Bespin

This is a screenshot of a random map I found on Moddb, but the skybox is the same.

cam.jpg

What this skybox needs: Ever wondered that the sky looks empty? Isn't something missing? Of course it is! Where are the Tibanna Gas containers and the mountain sized clouds?

In my opinion, the skybox should be more like this:

52520_01_star-wars-battlefronts-new-besp

Guys, I've found another skybox that needs a better version.

Bespin

This is a screenshot of a random map I found on Moddb, but the skybox is the same.

cam.jpg

What this skybox needs: Ever wondered that the sky looks empty? Isn't something missing? Of course it is! Where are the Tibanna Gas containers and the mountain sized clouds?

In my opinion, the skybox should be more like this:

52520_01_star-wars-battlefronts-new-besp

To be honest, that Bespin image from Battlefront, is how I'd imagine the t2_wedge (Kril'Dor) map/mission to look like, with a green tone instead of yellowy orange. Even playing Sabotage on Bespin and looking at the environment, it would work extremely well, if someone could pull it from the game.

Lancelot likes this