OpenRP - Open Source RP Mod

Are you going to implement any object placement like lugormod? Seems to help keep players on servers since you can run base maps without a need to download and heavily modify them so they feel like a new map.

I currently have a /spawnEnt command made by @. It allows you to spawn a limited amount of entities. I've looked at the entity system a little bit and I think I will try to add a variety of ents like Lugormod has.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations to @ who has accepted the position of animator for the mod! He has shown his work to various devs, including myself and we have approved of his work.

Remember: we're always looking for help with the mod, whether it's with programming, animating, sound design, graphic design, or public relations (or even other things)!

As for a progress update on the mod, we've decided to switch back to Legacy OJP as a base, as we feel it is the best in terms of features. I've been working on fixing bugs recently.

The mod Lugormod has had a /jail command, which teleports the player to a location marked by an info_jail ent, in a similar matter as what you described. Feature has been in for a long time, at least as long ago as before version T2 came out. I'm not sure what part is not understood, but now is not a good time to attempt to troll me.

• 1 month later...

Updated the original post with more info about the mod such as our features, latest plans for the future, etc. I'll try to get some more screenshots or even a video posted in the next few weeks or days as well as update the original post with more info on our features.

We're hoping to release in a few months' time at most, so development speed will be increasing.

Is there a reward system of some kind for killing people of an opposing faction? idk, rank points for each kill, resulting in a title when youve accrued certain ammounts?

Inb4 so and so mod already did it.

I dont care

There isn't. I'm not sure how I feel about this though. It seems like this would possibly take away from the RP and instead cause players to focus more on killing enemies than RPing.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately any menus will require a clientside download, but there are always console commands. I'll see what I can do about not requiring a client, but it may be difficult to do, especially once we modify the sabering system. With the amount of security issues out there, it's always a good idea to download a mod's client as some clientsides fix major security issues in JKA. MB2 of course requires a clientside and it has been very popular, and still is fairly popular. As for the similarity to Lugormod, I can see where you're coming from, but as the mod progresses, you'll likely start seeing some unique features.

Just drop the client and develop it later as an optional downloadable content? The greatness of lugormod, ja+ and so on comes with a pure serversided mod which allows each player (with and without clientsided modification or alternate userinterfance) to join the party ;)

There

isn't. I'm not sure how I feel about this though. It seems like this

would possibly take away from the RP and instead cause players to focus

more on killing enemies than RPing.

What about cvar? You can still store those Information into a bitfield.

g_skillpoints "6" // 0 = admin only, 1 = killing player, 2 = killing npc, 4 = killing faction marked as hostile

Just drop the client and develop it later as an optional downloadable content? The greatness of lugormod, ja+ and so on comes with a pure serversided mod which allows each player (with and without clientsided modification or alternate userinterfance) to join the party ;)

What about cvar? You can still store those Information into a bitfield.

g_skillpoints "6" // 0 = admin only, 1 = killing player, 2 = killing npc, 4 = killing faction marked as hostile

Now that the mod is going to be based off of modbase instead of OJP, I don't think a client will be required anymore. Of course those without the client will be missing out on some features, but i guess that's just how it will be without the client. If I ever do big edits to base JKA's saber system though, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to keep the mod serverside only.

Also, cvar sounds like a good idea for a feature like that. I'll add it to the todo list.

• 4 months later...

I have updated the original post with more up-to-date information.

Also, the documentation for the mod is more or less completed.

Take a look here for the various commands/features the mod will offer upon its first public release.

I hope to have more media and information available in the coming weeks.

Fighter, I heard that can you register your character into a website and all the information is transferred to JKA via RPmod. What if I wanna be Savage Opress, would that be okay? And what if someone uses the same name as you?

Fighter, I heard that can you register your character into a website and all the information is transferred to JKA via RPmod. What if I wanna be Savage Opress, would that be okay? And what if someone uses the same name as you?

I think you're thinking of JEDI's RPMod, not OpenRP.

• 1 month later...

This may be a bit odd of a suggestion, but you know the distance chat system you are using? I just, would like a different approach that a lot of people probably won't like, but I personally think it is an idea worth consideration.

Instead of having the chat appear traditionally on the left side of the screen, why not have the character ingame chat appear next to the player? Yes, I know, you would have to be looking at the player to see the chat, which could be annoying, but you could still code it that if your not looking at the player the chat will instead appear at the bottom of the screen with an arrow pointing to where it originated from...in a way it would be neat. If you were far away from a player talking with another player in character, you would still be able to see the chatting, however you would have to really strain your eyes to see what they are saying, almost like your trying very hard to listen. When another player whispers, the chat will become impossible to see at long range.

The real thing I'm trying to get at here is only if the other players model is within visual range regardless of how close you are, say your behind a wall even if your within the same portalled area, you shouldn't be able to hear the other player unless they yell or something. Now I know you could do the same thing with the original text system, but would it still be possible implement this new chat system? Have an option to turn it off and on. Wouldn't it be cool if you could see chat appear next to the player? If people don't like it, they can always turn it off and use the original system.

Just an idea.

• 3 months later...