Reserve your free windows 10 update.

Just go to "Customize..." in tray and make the W10 icon "Only show notifications". It will only be visible when expanded, which I don't think is a problem. 

Anyway, I'm on pirated Windows so I won't bother reserving even though it would work. Better do a fresh install after deleting the previous Windows.

EDIT: The W10 tray icon goes back among the main ones after PC restart. Fucker!

EDIT2: http://superuser.com/questions/922068/how-to-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-area-tray/922272#922272

Mine finally appeared and I reserved my copy. There are many features that aren't there like media center , Cortana, some other stuff I never even use..The only negative I saw was that you were getting Windows 10 Home Edition and on it you can't control Windows Updates. So, I got kinda bummed and then I read a few articles, one on Forbes.com, that said you'll get a Windows upgrade based on what you have. So, Win7 Home users would get Win10 home while Win7 Pro users (me) would get Win 10 Pro. Those with enterprise editions are screwed...lol

So, that is good news.

Bek likes this

No Way. Better is the enemy of Good. And as I don't know whether Win 10 any good at all, and I am quite okey with what I already have now.

I don't want to spend lots and lots of time on understanding how to launch all the old stuff on a newer system.

Corporations, corporations... All this is smelling very much like Deus Ex scenario. Green Soylent too.

EDIT: The W10 tray icon goes back among the main ones after PC restart. Fucker!

EDIT2: http://superuser.com/questions/922068/how-to-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-area-tray/922272#922272

Hahaha! And once again an official Microsoft update is responsible for screwing up our computers without our approval.

Nothing new here... :/

To get rid of the icon permanently uninstall KB3035583 which is responsible for these notifications. When you're offered the same again via Windows Update remember to hide it.

Note that even after uninstallation and a reboot some users might see remnants of the update's files in Windows\System32\GWX. In that case just delete the directory, although you may need to take ownership of it before you'll be allowed to do so.

The beauties of being a corporation! Your users are your slaves. At least that's how most of today's tech corporations seem to perceive it. :P

I say fight back.

Hahaha! And once again an official Microsoft update is responsible for screwing up our computers without our approval.

Nothing new here... :/

The beauties of being a corporation! Your users are your slaves. At least that's how most of today's tech corporations seem to perceive it. :P

I say fight back.

How is an icon screwing up your computer without your approval. Do you check all your updates before installing them? Are they set to automatic? If so, you approved whatever update you got. Besides, that icon just sits there.. probably with 20 other icons most users have down there and have no clue what they do.

How is an icon screwing up your computer without your approval. Do you check all your updates before installing them? Are they set to automatic? If so, you approved whatever update you got. Besides, that icon just sits there.. probably with 20 other icons most users have down there and have no clue what they do.

Isn't it popping up upgrade reminders as well? Distracting the user experience? If it isn't yet it probably will, knowing Microsoft...

So called "important updates" are installed automatically, without the user's approval by default on Windows. I've had such updates screw up my games in the past. And even if you do choose to "approve" the updates manually, you have no idea what they contain. Microsoft doesn't exactly go out of their way to specify clearly and user-friendly what each Windows update does in practice.

The only redeeming factor is that if you know exactly which update screwed up your PC, you can reverse/uninstall it through the software removal pane in Windows, and then blacklist it, as detailed above.

Isn't it popping up upgrade reminders as well? Distracting the user experience? If it isn't yet it probably will, knowing Microsoft...

So called "important updates" are installed automatically, without the user's approval by default on Windows. I've had such updates screw up my games in the past. And even if you do choose to "approve" the updates manually, you have no idea what they contain. Microsoft doesn't exactly go out of their way to specify clearly and user-friendly what each Windows update does in practice.

The only redeeming factor is that if you know exactly which update screwed up your PC, you can reverse/uninstall it through the software removal pane in Windows, and then blacklist it, as detailed above.

I have nothing popping up at all. Its just a while icon that sits there and looks like the Windows logo. Nor when I'm in Windows now I never have had any popups telling me anything about updates. The reason is I turn off automatic updates and then do them manually when I feel like it. Important updates also sit and wait for me to download them, Windows doesn't do them on their own.

Lol I can't even get that taskbar icon to appear. :P

It took me a while after doing the update to finally see the notification.