Modelling Projects

in fact this is the most efficient solution- regarding vertex count

you could also have the cylinder clip through

just make sure that any poly/face of the cylinder that you'll never see ingame is deleted

think of it like this : everything you'd caulk when mapping should be deleted in a model for JKA

Cerez and DT. like this

in fact this is the most efficient solution- regarding vertex count

you could also have the cylinder clip through

just make sure that any poly/face of the cylinder that you'll never see ingame is deleted

think of it like this : everything you'd caulk when mapping should be deleted in a model for JKA

So, this is perfectly fine just lining stuff up since when its exported it'll all be together anyhow ?

@@IrocJeff

I'm not sure if you are modeling the A-295 just to model it, but the Jkgalaxies team modeled this in Blender too.

You can find the .blend model on the their site.

A little bit of both. I want to get some Rebel/Imperial blasters into the game like the A-295 or 280, an E-11s or E17d sniper rifle or both, some heavier blasters, too, if possible. I have a great idea for a SP project that would pit the Rebel army against the Imperial Army (not stormtroopers) on an Imperial occupied planet. I can't do it unless I replace the weapons first which is why I started messing about with blender.

Their website, or at least the website I think I went to , doesn't work.

I ended up finding the A-280 in JKGalaxies assets although it took a bit of time dig through it all. Here i am trying to keep the tris low and that fucking thing  has 1700+... geeez... :facepalm: I kinda like the A-295 rifle better, anyhow. They are both kinda close and I'd like to finish this project. I can use that A-280 blend to reference stuff with.

I took some time off of Blender and then started all over again. This is about the 15th attempt at the A-295 blaster rifle so far and I'm really happy on my progress. I think the toughest part on this rifle is that there are no really good side images of it as there are for other SW guns or real world ones. But, I think I did alright. I think what I am going off are fan made replicas and those all have variation to them which isn't really a bad thing. In fact, I may even ditch the scope on this or make scoped and non scoped version. That'd be cool. 

Right now the rifle is pretty much blocked out and I have to start making it the right proportions and stuff. You can see what I did so far with the images below. Right now I'm at 680 tris which is about half of what I was earlier on at this point. I also broke it up into pieces which makes editing the mesh much easier.

a295noscope2_zps3z3mdlv1.jpg

a295noscope_zpsfxiejamq.jpg

Archangel35757 and Langerd like this

Still need to add a scope and some small details here and there but the mesh it pretty much done. I also think I'm going to make a non-scoped version too just incase. This is in reference to the A-295 rifle image above....

Below is a model someone made of a DC-15x blaster rifle which was pretty nice looking. Its also super close the the E-17d which is a Rebel sniper rifle. I modified it since most of the E-17d side view images are too small so I just modified this one a bit in paint.net so i can get a rough outline of the rifle. 

e17d_temp_zpsu9ybzchp.jpg

Here is what I started on so far. Some images of the rifle make it look like a box with a barrel attached while some others have some rings or something between the barrel and the receiver area so I'm not 100% sure which I want to use. 

e17dtestimage_zpscttiqiaw.jpg

Edited by IrocJeff
GPChannel likes this

That's nice @@IrocJeff. Good work so far!

Thanks. I really should have started on this model first since its actually fairly straight forward. My major problem right now is cutting holes into the barrel. If anyone has any ideas on how to do that efficiently let me know. I gotta make a bunch of them... At any rate here is what I have done so far.

e17dtestimage2_zps3owjhp67.jpg

Try looking in DT's stormtrooper thread, if I remember correctly, there was something similar to this discussion over there.  :winkthumb:

I found a video on youtube that has 8 different ways to make a hole in a plane so I'm going to try that. Its from another mush mouth that goes too fast but I haven't found any written ones yet.

Yuck. The only people who do video tutorials always have mush-mouth or stuttering or an accent so thick it'd be like wading through caramel.

yeah..that what you gotta put up with "free". I'm not paying 18 bucks a month for blender videos. hehe.

At any rate, this is how far i got. I may have to go with a less rounded hole since I need 14 of these per barrel face. I'm going to try and make a less rounded hole since the vert count gets kinda up there. I doubt a texture is going to look good.

barrel_hole_zpsfacmzke0.jpg

JAWSFreelao likes this

Well, I think for now this model is going to have to have a texture for the holes unless this hole situation can get less verty and still look good. The barrel consists of 680-ish verts while the reciever, handle, and stock are barely over 120. 

Langerd likes this

Got a scope done pretty close to the reference image I have. I'm not sure how large the barrel opening is supposed to be so if anyone knows lemme know.

e17scope_zps6gctuqaz.jpg

Here it is from the rear.I recessed the scope eye piece a bit to give it some depth. One funny thing I noticed about using Blender is the games it plays on your eyes when rotating the model. In the image below the shoulder stock looks like its curved towards the left but its actually straight. 

e17scoperear_zpswsi4a0pc.jpg

Boothand and JAWSFreelao like this

I'm becoming a huge fan of your work..

ventilator2.gif

Awww.. a fan...  :winkthumb:  :teehee:  Thank @@Boothand for answering several confusing questions with simple video tutorials or else I'd never be this far along and you'd have to say that to someone else... B)

I still have to add in some detail to the upper rear receiver on the a-295. And, I have to come up with a scoped version for that as well. While re-creating stuff is good in some cases I'm also taking liberties with things and putting my own spin on it, like the static sights on the A-295. Their will be a scoped version, but, I like both. 

I started working on a  shotgun of sorts. The Star Wars universe has both energy and pellet types of shotguns but not alot of images of them. So, I found a modern looking gun, the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and saw so many variations of it on Google Images that looked futuristic that I'm going to use a few different ideas into one weapon. Should look pretty neat.