carcass errors

Guest KENNITHH

Guest KENNITHH

He's modding SoF2 which uses a very similar engine to JKA. That's why he's seeking help here.

exactly, but I am willing to help in any way to get the SoF2 gla in JKA / OpenJK

Not sure about SoF2 but in JK2 and JA the seams are there, just mostly only noticeable if dynamic shadows are enabled or you're watching a cutscene with a characters face close up like the first JK2 mission for instance the opening scene in the ravens claw you can very clearly see the seams dividing kyles face from head object.

DT. likes this

The seams are visible with dynamic lighting because lighting is performed per-vertex instead of per-pixel. You would need to up the requirements a bit to get per pixel lighting working and also a lot of rewriting.

Per vertex??? So want this then cause the same issues with normal map characters? Is there no way to fix the normals of the overlapping coincident pairs of vertices??? Can we make use of supplemental information-- perhaps in embedded in the shader file giving the vertex pairs along the seams to rectify this by the renderer?

I think it would just be easier to fix the conversion to Ghoul2? We know it's not the Max (and probably not XSI) exporters or the dotXSI format. Doesn't anyone have a contact in Raven they can ask for carcass's source code? I wouldn't mind also getting carcass_prequat.exe.

minilogoguy18 likes this

Per vertex??? So want this then cause the same issues with normal map characters? Is there no way to fix the normals of the overlapping coincident pairs of vertices??? Can we make use of supplemental information-- perhaps in embedded in the shader file giving the vertex pairs along the seams to rectify this by the renderer?

Sorry, I should have clarified - it's per-vertex in the vanilla renderer. Rend2 uses per-pixel lighting for models.

Archangel35757 likes this

I thought at one point @@Archangel35757 had talked to a former Raven employee or someone who may have worked on the game during it's development, it would be awesome to be able to get the carcass source code for many reasons.

Only Michael Chang (aka Chang-Kahn) would ever respond to me... then it seems he quit responding as well.  Rich Whitehouse (maker of Noesis) use to work at Raven-- he's probably your best inside shot and getting them to release the Carcass source code-- it would be awesome if this would happen.  We should also request the source code for ShaderED and EffectsED.

Couldn't care less about EffectsEd, BehavEd or ShaderEd -- they're all MFC'd to hell and it would be difficult to get them working. It might be better to make a new tool altogether in something like Qt, which is cross-platform to begin with. EffectsEd and ShaderEd are a bit more difficult as they require some rendering expertise (something which I'm not too accustomed with)

Archangel35757 likes this
Guest KENNITHH

I think it just needs a perfect skin then? :

936e9ca973.jpg : from raven

7e7bc16a2f.jpg : new model, see the white lines , they are gaps :(

0ccb45ff5e.jpg : neck here

just curious but the character models have some grey/white/black texture with _hit or _mat at the end could this have something to do with it ? or would it just be some hitmarker 

Cheers @@DT85 :D Then I guess theres no issue for that

And @@Archangel35757, its the standard poses, I'm not experienced enough yet to add new anims :P

You're really interested in the ones of SoF2 arent you :P

I think we should bring the SoF2 GLA ( Or a derivative thereof...) into JKO/JKA as a new NPC-type for troopers/soldiers... maybe I'll undertake this task when I get more time and finish my priority projects.
Guest KENNITHH

I remember there being a animation cfg though just called differently like average_sleeves.glm and average_sleeves.cfg, ill confirm this when I get home

He was unwilling to ask Raven for us, and felt it was rude to keep prodding them about it. He didn't mention he had the code, but he said Noesis does everything carcass can. I then PM'd him back with the issue for his GLM export.