Max polygon count for hilts?

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

So a hilt could consist of, let's say, 5 parts each at maybe 800 vertices?

I read this somewhere but I'm not sure what they mean by "node:"

"There isn't any kind of limit on GLM models, but MD3s max out at 1024 triangles per node. Now, I don't know if that screws up in the export or in the game. Because if it's only in the game, you can export it to MD3 then using MD3View to make the GLM will be okay."

• Solution

So a hilt could consist of, let's say, 5 parts each at maybe 800 vertices?

Yes.

"There isn't any kind of limit on GLM models [...]"

Well, the format itself imposes no limit, but JA will refuse to load anything with more than the aforementioned 1k verts.
Cerez likes this

Well, the format itself imposes no limit, but JA will refuse to load anything with more than the aforementioned 1k verts.

Would there be any way to circumvent this restriction? Or is this absolutely the maximum the Quake 3 engine can handle in terms of detail?

Would there be any way to circumvent this restriction? Or is this absolutely the maximum the Quake 3 engine can handle in terms of detail?

It can be changed it in the source code, just like pretty much everything you could possibly think of.

It can be changed it in the source code, just like pretty much everything you could possibly think of.

So after doing research and such and having a chat with @ he asked me why nobody has done this before on here?  Say you have a character model costing 10k vertices, why not split it up into parts?

Personally I believe that it would only make the map lag and I'm pretty certain that a lot of you have already considered this approach.

It would certainly be heavy on the performance, but I wonder with today's graphics cards if something like this would be plausible and actually work well in JK.

Are we talking tweaking, or a complete rewrite?

It would certainly be heavy on the performance, but I wonder with today's graphics cards if something like this would be plausible and actually work well in JK.

Are we talking tweaking, or a complete rewrite?

I think that with the amount of alteration and changes it wouldn't really be the same engine anymore lol.

About breaking up the model, I remember a discussion of this years back when some serious modellers in the community were thinking of raising the level of quality for their JKA work, but back then we didn't have today's graphics performance and certainly no source code.

• 4 weeks later...

I have many mpdels with thousand of vertexes. for md3 , and glm model too (glm crash if a mesh have more of 1000 vertexes, i tryied on myself this issue) remember: never overload the 1000 vertexes limits. you cam detach the mesh in more parts , and contain however the same Uvmapping, so you not lose anything of the detail. for example, you make a mesh with 3000 vertexes?  make uvmapping, texturing, end after, before a rig or a skin, detach into 5 parts of 600 vertexes each one. so if the mesh originally was "head" become "head_nek" "head_face" "head_eyes" "head_ears" "hean_ponytails" just for make an example. also if the textures if the same and the uvmapping is the same. 3D max conserve the uvmapping also after detaching so you not lose any details with detaching. is just... really boring :\

Cerez likes this

No matter how powerful the user's PC is the game WILL lag.

500 is the most you want to do for any segment, higher than that will work but the model will no longer be affected by dynamic lighting.

There's no reason to up the limit of the engine, newer games aren't much more intensive, they're just more efficient and use various forms of displacement maps to gain more detail.

Cerez and eezstreet like this

No, it's not 800 per object, it's 1000 per object and 32 objects per model.

And yes, for the love of god, don't use that many vertices on a hilt if you want your game to be playable. The renderer for the game doesn't handle anything with any degree of efficiency.

So if you exceed 500 vertices per object-- dynamic lighting will no longer work on that object?

I think we should compile a modeling notes/limits for all of the game's model file types and make it a sticky thread in the modelling tutorials section.

...and a similar thread for mapping: Max number of models, brushes, entities, etc. that GtkRadiant and the game will handle.