Steam JA crashes on startup.

Hi all, I bought Jedi Academy on Steam after I lostmy openjk files. I installed and singleplayer works, but when I try to launch multiplayer JA stops responding and I have to end task from the task manager.

I have tried running as admin as well as running in compatibility mode. 

Running Windows 8.1 64 bit, with ATI Radeon HD 8750m video card.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Otter

I'm not sure if this helps, but try disabling OpenGL extensions support in the game.

set r_allowExtensions 0

You need to place this in autoexec.cfg in the base folder. (If it's not there, create a new text file and name it so.)

You could also perhaps add it to the launch parameters of the multiplayer shortcut instead.

Source: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/78-jedi-academy-os-x-lion-issues/

EDIT: See also: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206018

Neither of those worked...Could it be a problem with my video drivers? I just updated them today in hopes that it would fix the issue, but maybe they're too new? Tf2 wont run either, but CSS will. If that helps at all.

If you have updated the drivers to the latest stable release, then restart the computer and try running the game again. See if it works.

I'm surprised that neither of these two solutions fixed your problem.

Your other option would be to seek support from the Steam guys, since you did purchase the product from them. I'm not sure how else to help you.

EDIT: Also, try the above command without "set".

You need to place this in autoexec.cfg in the base folder. (If it's not there, create a new text file and name it so.)

Make sure that file extensions are enabled, otherwise you'll end up with autoexec.cfg.txt file, which the game will not load by default . . .
Cerez likes this

Signature.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with buying games on steam is, what if steam has a problem? Then you won't be able to access your games. My friend couldn't play JKA 3 days ago because it kept crashing (and yes, he also ran the game from the root directory in the steamapps folder). He restarted steam and it fixed the problem.

Steam literally tangles with your games. I understand having to get certain games like Garrys Mod with steam, but if you can avoid it, you should.

Problem with buying games on steam is, what if steam has a problem? Then you won't be able to access your games. My friend couldn't play JKA 3 days ago because it kept crashing (and yes, he also ran the game from the root directory in the steamapps folder). He restarted steam and it fixed the problem.

Steam literally tangles with your games. I understand having to get certain games like Garrys Mod with steam, but if you can avoid it, you should.

People forget that Steam is a DRM packaging system...and as such all of the faults that come with DRMS come with Steam.

JKG Developer