avi instead roq

Exmirai

It won't be hard for uncompressed AVIs.

For compressed ones you'd need to add decoders (aka hard).

Just curious: is there anything wrong with ROQ? Why instead? Why not additively?

I don't see avi happening because of codecs to play all the general formats that are possible within an avi container.

ROQ just works for what it is, you shouldn't be trying to play actual movies you downloaded off the internets within JA ;p

Your best bet would be to get some kinda universal format like an ogv file. AVIs aren't like image formats or sound files. They rely on codecs, which require them being installed on the computer of the person who wants to play the game. I just don't see that sorta thing happening unfortunately.

Isn't that Mac only or something that it works?

Yep. So one could probably reference the code it uses or something and implement it in OpenJK. Unless they already have.

How do you embed from dropbox? Possible to embed video from other websites and what formats?

Excuse me for offtop.

Direct links to MP4 files are embedded automatically. Only works on the major browsers though. (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE)

Don't use Opera. :P Looks like it's the only browser that doesn't support MP4 HTML 5 aside from certain versions of Firefox. I changed the link just for you though. :winkthumb:

Your best bet would be to get some kinda universal format like an ogv file. AVIs aren't like image formats or sound files. They rely on codecs, which require them being installed on the computer of the person who wants to play the game. I just don't see that sorta thing happening unfortunately.

What do modern games use then? I know most Mac versions use MOV files because it's guaranteed to work on all Macs. What would it be for Windows?

Omicron likes this

OGV, like AVI, 3GP, ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4, and many others are just container formats for audio and video.

You can have any format audio and video inside them, and all audio and video formats (including RoQ) require codecs to play them. ('Codec' is basically just a name for "code that can encode and/or decode a certain file format")

ROQ just works for what it is, you shouldn't be trying to play actual movies you downloaded off the internets within JA ;p

Why not?  I'm sure JA would be a great new movie pirating program.

facepalm.jpg

On the other hand if someone does take the time to add support for a bunch of different video codecs (begin operation merge vlc source code!), I'm not going to stop them.  Kudos to them.

JKG Developer