Looking for tips regarding custom NPCs

As the title says, i need some advice regarding custom npcs. For example, how can i resize an npc properly, like height, width etc. I wanted to make a rancor npc with a different skin, but just resizing doesn't work because the original model will keep it's size so it looks like you can walk into the npc. And is it possible to set the range of npcs following you, how far they stand from you? By the way i can't resize a darth vader skin, it didn't change at all, the height i mean. :)

I recommend doing it by hand. You can reference the base NPC's for what lines they use. If you have JK2 you can reference the summary of many of the lines in the npcs.cfg it uses.

I believe height and width only applies to the bounding box. The only way to change the size is scale. It's uses percentage (without the % symbol though) I believe.

Nonononono no. Don't edit the model (isn't that what you're saying to do Circa?).

Just use the scale option on the appearance page, which is how Raven did big NPCs like Assassin Droids, Saber Droids, and Chewie if I remember correctly. If you want to get more specific than that, use the scale X, Y, and Z options which should work fine.

Nonononono no. Don't edit the model (isn't that what you're saying to do Circa?).

Just use the scale option on the appearance page, which is how Raven did big NPCs like Assassin Droids, Saber Droids, and Chewie if I remember correctly. If you want to get more specific than that, use the scale X, Y, and Z options which should work fine.

No. :P I said write out the NPC file by hand. It's faster once you know what you're doing.

Dumah 11523 likes this

Tried to make a custom rancor npc, didn't work out as i hoped. The rancor can't hit/grab any enemies. I think the biggest problem with custom npcs is the size of the npc. As i said earlier, even a Darth Vader npc doesn't have the correct height. :(

Like I said, don't use height and width properties. That just changes the bounding box. Use the scale property.

ShenLong Kazama Well, here are some different Vaders: Normal height, a giant bigger than desann and the midget vader: http://imgbox.com/g/SyRm99XJai

* Also an small rancor that can grab someone and attack: http://imgbox.com/g/0UgGKHkWti

* Dont change the Height(x) or the widht(+), you only need to change the scale option from the npc:

rank        captain
  reactions    3
    aim            3
    move        5
    aggression    3
    evasion        5
    intelligence    5
    hfov        160
    vfov        160
    scale        135
  x height        78
    crouchheight 42
 +  width        18
    playerTeam    TEAM_ENEMY
    enemyTeam    TEAM_PLAYER

ShenLong Kazama Well, here are some different Vaders: Normal height, a giant bigger than desann and the midget vader: http://imgbox.com/g/SyRm99XJai

* Also an small rancor that can grab someone and attack: http://imgbox.com/g/0UgGKHkWti

* Dont change the Height(x) or the widht(+), you only need to change the scale option from the npc:

rank        captain

reactions    3

aim            3

move        5

aggression    3

evasion        5

intelligence    5

hfov        160

vfov        160

scale        135

x height        78

crouchheight 42

+  width        18

playerTeam    TEAM_ENEMY

enemyTeam    TEAM_PLAYER

The CW Maul skin you used there, where can i get it please? Looked for it since i saw the episodes last year. :blink:

Anyways, the rancor npc still doesn't work as it should be. Even the default size doesn't do anything, as other npcs won't get hit or grabbed. Dammit.

Post the .npc files content here and perhaps we can help you further.

In my Legacy of Kain mod, i have used some little small tiny rancor  with a green reskin for the "sluagh" creatures of the spectral realm.

In my Npc of Sluagh the parameters of setting are:

scale: 15 (15% of model original scale)

yu can also set:

scalex \ scaley \scalez  and a number that mean the % of scaling and resize on the axis.

That's it's not sufficient:

if your rancor is more small than 100 value, the crosshair can turn in red also if yu point near the monster and not only on the monster body.

if your ranger is more large than 100 value, yu can cross into the NPC.

why that? because scale, scale the model, but NOT the bounding box of the model! :D

the boundying box need to be scaled with

height - crouchheight - width  commands.

yu need to check the original Rancor.NPC file. for see what's is the value of original height, width and crouchheight.

If yu scale of 150% the monster into your custom NPC. yu need to scale to 150% also height, width and crouchieght.

example: if scale it's 150 and height is 64 croucheight 32 and width 52 (it's only a foolish example, eh? :P )

yu need to set height to 150% of 64, width to 150% of 152 and crouch at 150% of 32.

and so, your NPC become with:

scale 150

width 78

croucheight 48

height 96

and so your rancor will work.

you can found that also in ATST.NPC.

so scale it's for resize model, and width, height and croucheight for bounding box :)

a funny hilt: if yu make a giant enemy, also his sword\ lightsaber be scaled. One of my boss is a giant Dumahim Vampire. His crystal axe it's not much big as model, but with monster scaled it's HUGE!! :D (and it's Huge also in damage and fight O_O )

Here's my npc file.

bull_rancor
{
    playerModel        KDM_Rancor2
    scale                   200
    height                 350
    width                   120
    crouchheight       350
    weapon               WP_MELEE
    rank                    commander
    playerTeam        TEAM_FREE
    enemyTeam       TEAM_FREE
    class                  CLASS_RANCOR
    health                 6000
    yawSpeed          40
    walkSpeed         110
    runSpeed           400
    snd                    rancor
    sndcombat        rancor
    sndextra            rancor
    sndjedi              rancor
}

* I think you forgot to add this part to the NPC, now the npc will finally attack:

aggression        5

aim                    5

intelligence       2

reactions          4

The npc attacks, but as i said before it doesn't hit/grab anything. It's like the rancor is so stupid it can't even hit the air. :mellow:

* Have you try what i told you? Just make the rancor a bit smaller and then see whats happen, change the scale from 200 to 150 or even 100. By the way did you have the same problem with the original mutant rancor from the game, or with the normal rancor?