Just a little project...

What program should I use, XSI Mod Tool?

personal preference , really

try a few and see what you like best

if oyu want to get into content creation for Jedi academy you might want to check out :

3ds max 5 to 2012 (these version have working exporters)

Blender

XSI Mod tool

you could also try to use milkshape for weapons but milkshape is incapable of exporting charactermodels

here's a turntable of the highpoly head, hope you all like it. the expression is left deliberately blank so i can pose him easier later.

A few things that feel off to me: volume/shape of the skull, a bit too flat at the top. Flatness of the forehead in side view, the length of the nose, like his nasal bone is pushed in too deep (side view), it also makes the planes of the brow barely visible. The big bump below the ears (mastoid process) is too harsh and shouldn't be all that visible since most of the ear (and flesh) covers it . The front view looks pretty good imo, nice readable forms.

I realize he'll get hair transplant and the skull shape won't matter as much but it won't hurt to address some of those issues.

Glad you guys are enjoying these! I have to say, recording these timelapses is actually very rewarding, it puts a lot of pressure on you to "get it right", and when you don't you can go back and review where you fucked up... So that's pretty awesome!

Here's a little update, made the greaves and added some straps to keep them on. need to do wrist-straps next. I also made the chest armour (going for the jedi version first) but unfortunately the video i recorded of the hard surface 3dsmax work didn't come out properly, i'll make sure it does next time!

Bane_Ross, Circa and Bek like this

for the belt, i made an "insert multi-mesh" brush. i created a basic low poly (but subdivision ready, this is important) belt in max, imported into zbrush, and separated it into the correct polygroups, info on how to make these brushes can be found here: http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/insert-mesh/

for the armour, i started by masking off a portion of the chest, and then in the subtool rollout choose "extract", play with the values until you have something you like, and hit accept. this will create a new subtool with your extracted mesh. i mirrored it, dynameshed, and sculpted using mostly move/pinch/trimdynamic brushes. then when i had a shape i liked i went into max and did a proper sub-d mesh for it, and imported that in in its place.

i had originally tried to record both of these things, but the software i was using to record max decided to record audio only and no video!

DT. and Bek like this

One little critique.

Could you put the buckles on the outside of the leg? On the inside they would rub against each other and catch on each other.

When I go to fencing I make sure my knee and elbow straps are on the outside for this reason.

It is the same for baseball catcher's leg guards too.