[Request] Custom Map - Tron Elements

Compensation: I have heard before that people frown on getting compensation for doing mods for this game.  I will state though that since the source is open now, it's public access and is no longer bound by copyright rules that would otherwise make that something of a gray area.  The name of Disney or Tron will not be mentioned in the map, it will simply have similar designs.  I will offer reasonable compensation to the parties in question, and will gladly pay upfront partial payment to ensure you know that I mean business.  

Wouldn't you still be technically be selling the JA skeleton, which is illegal?

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

I mean, either way, there is gonna be some propietery elements in any map, so "selling or buying" the map will be definitively shady, however. It's up to you, but JKHub can't be responsible for legal problems that arise.

I recommend that you continue any business opportunities via PM when you get some one interested.

Compensation: I have heard before that people frown on getting compensation for doing mods for this game.  I will state though that since the source is open now, it's public access and is no longer bound by copyright rules that would otherwise make that something of a gray area. 

What?

Just because the source code has been released doesn't mean that it isn't still copyrighted... Penumbra, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Doom1-3, Doom 3: BFG Edition, Quake1-3, ... are all open source. That doesn't mean that charging for mods for those games is any less correct than if they weren't. You're selling the same stuff (maps, models, ...) regardless of that fact. pls don't.

If I was buying a map made for JKA that would be illegal. However I would simply be paying for the services of someone designing a map. That is just services rendered. However if it is going to offend someone I don't have to pay anyone. It was meant to be an incentive not a hindrance.

If I was buying a map made for JKA that would be illegal. However I would simply be paying for the services of someone designing a map. That is just services rendered. However if it is going to offend someone I don't have to pay anyone. It was meant to be an incentive not a hindrance.

That's like saying, "No officer, I wasn't selling him drugs. He was paying for me to deliver them to him."

While I suppose it's a bit of a gray area as to paying people, I find your argument on the matter to be highly illogical. It is true that people are motivated by money. However I think this is a double-edged sword. You'll be more likely to get the request made, but you'll have a less likely chance that it will be quality, based on the concept of intrinsic value.

Darth_Bothersome likes this

In a situation of selling/buying/or delivering drugs; drugs are illegal. In the case of making a map; the making of a map is not illegal.

Unless you're selling a map for cash, which is more or less illegal. Saying you're being paid for your services makes no difference. I suppose a better analogy is this: When a moonshine dealer gets caught, he says "No, I'm not selling my moonshine for cash. I'm simply making moonshine for someone else, and they're paying me for my service."

Do you see why this would be a problem?