Awesome model, but I can't help but think he looks slightly cartoonish, kinda like the CW series, but maybe thats' just me.

It's not skinned yet :P

Really impressive, I can't wait to see the final product :D

Here's what I can see:

- legs are too thin

- hips look very weird where the femur joins to the pelvis

- torso as a whole looks too thin

- biceps toward the torso look quite large

- hands look okay but a bit malformed

- can't exactly tell, but the helmet may be tilted down a bit too much

Won't crit the accuracy of the model as I don't know what it should look like. I'll leave that to others. ;)

katanamaru and ChalklYne like this

Once Imageshack is working for me again, I'll post some reference shots that should help you out. One of main critiques is the belt area. Based on my reference shots both the EVO and the Jumptrooper have a belt that is completely straight that wraps around the waist. I think the head also needs to be bigger vertically speaking.

I am very glad that you are making this.

I'll be sure to get you some reference shots to help with the model.

ChalklYne likes this

@@Barricade24

imageshack is just being a pain in the ass. once u upload it, dont go to myimages, just check out the big box it opens up and change the "direct" option to "forum" and it will give u the code like the old days

I mainly can't get on because there is apparently a security certificate that expired and even though it could be safe I will wait until it gets updated to get the ref pics up.

ChalklYne likes this

Sounds good. I figured you would enjoy the new troopers. So I will put out a Jump, EVO, Purge, and most likely a custom trooper of my own design.

Oh yeah, I have been just itching to make the Shadow EVO Trooper and now I can could make a Shadow Jumptrooper to go along with the Shadow Trooper, Shadow Incinerator, and the Shadow Commander. I might even as go as far to make a Shadow Purge Trooper or Shadow Scout Trooper or.....

ChalklYne likes this

These aren't the best shots I've found or have but they are pretty good reference.

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120415215743/clonetrooperpedia/images/b/bd/RaxusPrimeJumptrooper03.jpg

Here are some of my obeservations on the EVO and the Jumptrooper.

1) The EVO and the Jumptrooper have essentially the same head model. The only differences being skinned on details and the obvious breathing tubes and Jump visor.

2) The Jumptrooper share the same arm armor, except the Jumptrooper has no cylinder on either of his arms.

3) The upper arms of the Jump Trooper are like simple rings where as the EVO has regular Stormtrooper armor on the upper arms.

4) The Jumptrooper has different style shoulder pads than that of the EVO. They seem smaller.

5) The EVO trooper has a Stormtrooper style abdomen and chest plate. Where as the Jumptrooper has a completely new chest plate with a ST style abdomen with some sort of armor padding underneath the chest plate (see images).

6) Jumptroopers also have a different crouch plate from that of the STs and the EVOs, they don't seem to have the "cup" thing.

7) Belts are exactly like that of the Stormtrooper.

8) Jumptroopers have a wider set of "suspenders" on the front of the upper leg armor but are otherwise exactly like the EVO and Stormtrooper's.

9) Lower legs are basically the same as the Stormtrooper. Except that there is a ring around the lower right leg.

10) The shoes of the Jumptrooper seems more armored padded than the EVO. But it looks like it is just texture work and not modeled on armor.

Those are my observations so far in comparision to the EVO and Jumptrooper. Hopefully they will help.

Also, @@DT85's Stormtrooper is great reference for any of the Stormtrooper parts you may need for comparision.

Futuza likes this

I agree with all points made, however, I purposely made the armor different though. I didnt want an exact 1:1 copy of jumptroopers or evo troopers or maps or anything. maybe just Starkiller, Juno's face, and the tie fighters and things liek that. but I wanted my own phase of evotroopers and jumps and stuff. With custom fitting armor more like Batman's than a regular jumptrooper. I would just ask @@DT85 to use his stormie, but the vert count is way too high for me to add to. So, what I can do is, make my custom versions (with most of the improvements @@Barricade24 and @@DT85 had suggested) while still staying true to this more sleek armor design, and keep all of their accessories separate. then, when I get all of the accessories textured and looking ok, I will try and fit them to Dt85's stormie for all of you canonical fans. 

tl;dr?

I am making my own versions of the jump and evo armor. I will also put the accessories on Dt85's stormie (if it's cool with him) for all of you who want a more canon jump and evo. I just like how my design is, and want it to be in the mod.

Having the creative freedom like that is what makes this all still fun for me.

Barricade24 and katanamaru like this

I would just ask @@DT85 to use his stormie, but the vert count is way too high for me to add to.

I get around that by having LODs so it runs smoothly. ;)

If you use LODs, it will be fine. No need to have base JKA quality, so long as you LOD. :D

@@DT85

Long explanation of why I am trying to keep verts very low

Well, here's the problem with that. Hangars. Large open spaces. Multiple shaders running all at once, and at least 8-10 troopers on the screen at once. Combined with a high poly playermodel, with decent resolution textures, it will eventually take its toll not on people's pc's, but on the engine from what I understand. Even with LOD's because eventually you will have a few of them close enopugh to be at the highest LOD and it might bog down. If my evo has around 4000 tris, and my jump has like 3300, and the purge is more like 4000, and starkiller is like 3800, and who knows what the Kota militia people will end up being. Throw in the way that I'm modeling the maps, I think eventually it will all crash. But, I am close to having two maps done, so once those are done, I will take a break from jumping into Raxus prime, and finish off some baddies and starkiller and put them all together to see where we stand. You could be right, but I want to play it extra safe so there is no snags near the end causing me to go back to square 1. 

I could have a 5-6000 stormtrooper with 3 LOD's... or I can have a 3200 tri stormtrooper with 3 LOD's u know? I could once again be horribly wrong, but this is the best I can do with optimization. Combine the low poly characters with some vis portals and timed spawning and lod's and I think I can spend the extra space on the maps being highly detailed.

Who is a good authority on LOD's and vert count and engine stability around here so we can pick thier brain about it? I can get a tri count for an entire map right now, combined with the tri count of starkiller and like 8-10 troopers and see where we stand if needed? Actually, I would just ask you @@DT85 XD Or @@minilogoguy18 or possibly @@eezstreet. You guys know way more than me about the subject

Current vert count

So after a quick calculation, I'd say the most graphical intense areas combined with the most baddies on screen at once all at the highest LOD's will be somewhere around 75,000 tris. And that is a seriously detailed set of hallways serving as 1 area portal, with 10 evos at highest LOD (most verts), and starkiller and all applicable weaponry. So what will that play like? Because I see a base map with 10 base troopers with a base character and base weaponry to be more like 20,000. Now once again, the 75,000 tri count is worst case scenario, as in you are in the most graphical intense piece of a map in the entire mod, with 10 of the highest tri count baddies all within 6 feet of you, with the highest tri playermodel 

Well from what I've viewed from a lot of your models is that they're usually pretty high poly because there will be so many wasted polygons all over the model, if you remember that part of the tie facility you sent me I sent it back with 1/2 the tri count just from cleaning up the model.

You should stick to the guidlines in the SDK, around 3k at the highest LOD, you can go a little over but you need to be making 3 LOD's along with the main model leaving a total of 4 to keep performance up.

A lot of your trooper models you could have easily just modified either the base trooper or hapslashes and probably come out with lower poly models.