Support for space vehicles in Single Player?

Avoozl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IMO, there should be better flight mechanics... especially for near-Earth vehicles like the T-47. Is it possible to make a different map/game-type that would support open space maps? How were X-Wing Alliance maps generated that seemed endless??? Can a game-type be added that allows for that kind of map style???

You'd need new models/graphics for a first person view, so that might not be a good idea to put on the repository. However, if someone makes an add-on for OpenJK (which would also fix things like menus, mispelled strings and add more languages), then I'm all for that.

As far as SP, sure, I see no reason why not. But perhaps add a cvar for it in case it's unfavorable to the players.

As far as MP, that's out of the question as it alters gameplay significantly and wouldn't be compatible with base servers/base clients using openjk clients/openjk servers (respectively)

Seems the biggest problem is scale, JA models are HUGE when imported into 3d programs, this engine just isn't suited for flight. Even if the mechanics were better the maps are just too small to be enjoyable.

Couldn't things be scaled down? How does X-Wing Alliance do it? They don't appear to have boundaries...

I'm sure there is a boundary, every game has them, it's just far enough away from anything to even make anyone want to even bother reaching it.

I recall walking away from my computer at the end of the mission-- just letting it fly... never hit a boundary. I don't think it had any. Perhaps it's a different construct altogether.