ME3 N7 Valiant Model

• 2 weeks later...

More updates. Still going slow, but I'm determined to finish.

8351748917_8d98b88e72_b.jpg

And because I haven't posted it in a while...

8352810412_72b47abd0a_z.jpg

I picked 512x512 because that's what the ingame texture is, but I didn't take into consideration that Bioware mirrored almost everything and I didn't so my textures are effectively at a much smaller resolution. Oops, but on the other hand this is turning out to be a very helpful challenge for me.

One thing that irks me: the area around the N7 logo is a bit blurry, so the logo isn't quite as crisp as it should be. That, and the big black bolt on the scope are the only two flaws I see so far. I'd honestly say though that given the size of the object you're UV mapping for, there's no real harm in upping the texture resolution to 1024x1024, since the model has to be rendered in first person as well, and LODs (or lack thereof, rather) will be the majority of the FPS draw.

You can't just up the texture resolution and have it magically be crisper -- it doesn't work that way. In fact it would likely get more blurry because it would have to add pixels itself, unless I retextured the whole thing which isn't going to be happening, believe me. The resolution it's at is the resolution it's going to stay at. Next model we can try a higher resolution map.

To be honest, as I said, if I had mirrored pieces 512 would've been just fine. The actual texture from Mass Effect 3 is only 512.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the viewer bugged or am I seeing some z-fighting in the handle and the stock? And yes agree, great way to show the model :)

Yeah no z-fighting on the model -- that's just the viewer. That was the first thing I noticed myself lol. Wouldn't be any, because that was all 1 mesh before I split it into multiple objects.

My only thought is that (using that 3d viewer anyway) the textures look quite low resolution. Otherwise, yum.

Also there appears to be z-fighting around the rear trigger support and the hole at the back.

Z-fighting is a product of the 3d viewer I believe.

So... yeah.

512* to me is plenty for a gun model, yeah a picture from a 3d viewer/modeling program will be covering your screen making the resolution noticeable but in game a 512* and a 1024* will look the same on a model that size unless you're playing around with camera controls intentionally trying to look at it up close.

Making a low poly model with low resolution textures look good is WAAAAAAAAY more pro than just craming it with detail, it's a game not a large budget CG movie.

Inyri likes this

Nobody was arguing why she picked her own method, just how she responds when someone asks a question (albeit brought up before). I still think it looks "low-res" regardless of how 'pro' it is to use low res. But thanks for clarifying why without being snotty.