Lucasfilm to combine Movies and Gaming

The creative technicians over at Lucasfilm are working on film making using video game engines and real-time motion capture together to virtually eliminate post-production editing. The blending of two high tech processes will begin to blur the line between real life, gaming and movie production. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsFEMDceNg#t=159

LINK http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/lucasfilm_to_combine_movies_and_gaming.html

Looks awesome i think :P

Thats just the UDK/Unreal 4 pipeline, with the big budget capture equipment this is perfectly possible.  You can see Kismet in the background on a number of those screens.

He never actually says this has anything to do with film either, aside from name dropping LucasFilm the only thing he says is "digital media", and given the processing power required for hollywood level effects, (just look up what Avatar took, somewhere along the lines of +17GBs a minute, for a 166 minute film) The idea that this kind of stuff would work on a film level, is still too far off.  Avatar used 10,000 Sq ft of servers to render farm, imagine what it would take to process the multi-million poly assets used in live-action film, in live animation like that, especially if you need to get a large number at one time, and then also calculate in the lighting and physics.

I could see them referring to using the capture tech, but they've been doing that in film for a while, infact I'd say the film industry had the big toys first.  But THAT is definitely being done in Unreal, hard to tell the version, definitely not 3, might be UDK or based on what I've seen, it might be UE4.  And I don't see them being able to work enough hollywood level assets into the scenes to produce full films, and if they did, there is no real way to composite in live-action, so you would be eliminating live actors.