FBX to GLM converter

Real interesting. Noesis can only load ASCII FBX, and when I load that up all the tags are bunched at the bottom of the root like in your pic Xycaleth. I'll see what's going on.

EDIT:

Fixed tags issue so they should all be in their proper place. Sending you a new .zip. :P

Great work!!!  However, I notice that some (if not all...) of your tags need rotating 90 degrees about the z-axis.  For example, the hands and feet appear to be needing a rotation of 90 degrees about the z-axis (when you compare to an original model in old ModView).  But I'm sure you'll have it all sorted out soon...

I do hope you intend to make a .GLM/.GLA to .FBX converter... or better yet, just add a "Save As" feature in your new ModView program to save it back out to .FBX   :D

DT. likes this

Great work!!!  However, I notice that some (if not all...) of your tags need rotating 90 degrees about the z-axis.  For example, the hands and feet appear to be needing a rotation of 90 degrees about the z-axis (when you compare to an original model in old ModView).  But I'm sure you'll have it all sorted out soon...

I do hope you intend to make a .GLM/.GLA to .FBX converter... or better yet, just add a "Save As" feature in your new ModView program to save it back out to .FBX   :D

Good call on the tags ;) Not sure why that's happened. I've applied the same transformations to the tags as I have to the meshes so they should be correct (or maybe the tags were in incorrect and carcass does some weird magic to fix them up again). I do plan to make a converter back to FBX. This seems easy enough, now that I've seen how the FBX format works :)

Probably won't add this to ModView, at least not for now. The good thing about having a standalone utility for things like this is you can create a batch script or something similar to convert an entire directory of files to GLM.

Great work Xycaleth, keep it up! :D Is it reading off the base JKA humanoid.gla with weighting intact?

If you need anything else, let me know. :)

Haven't got to working on weighting just yet :) But another quick question! I'm having problems with texture coordinates as 3ds seems to export FBX with more texture coordinates than positions and normals. Are you perhaps preserving smooth groups when you export (if such an option exists)? Can you send me the model with and without smooth groups preserved if possible? Thanks :D

A few more hours of work later, and we can say hello to Luke properly :D

fbx-glm8.png

I just need to fix up bolts, and make the converter usable. And I made a mistake in an earlier post - this first version will only be able to export non-animated models. I haven't looked at fetching the weighting information from the FBX file yet.

For jokes, here's some WIP screenshots while I was trying to get this to work :P

fbx-glm6.png

fbx-glm7.png

Circa, DT. and Futuza like this