Cathedral - wip

Hello guys, I'm glad to see that there is still an active JK community out there!

So, I have just begun summer break and am trying to finish a map this month.

I was first inspired to try making this map when I saw this picture.

Lincoln-Cathedral-interior-construction-

So the following is just the first hallway which I have worked on. I still want to tweak the lighting and the textures need creation and cleaning up, but I thought I'd upload  some pictures to get some feedback.

shot0008.jpg

shot0007-2.jpg

shot0006-2.jpg

Circa, Odeyseis, CaptainChar and 1 other like this

It's a nice design but it looks like you started to get lazy when mapping out the top center of the ceiling and not giving it the same detail you gave the lower part between the pillars and windows.

Also curious to see a wireframe of this, noticed some mappers do a bit better than others by optimizing the brushes better by reducing unneeded vertices, keeping the same shape exact shape and detail with a lower brush count.

I'm gonna jump in the same wagon as Mini and Bot. You are showing enough skill to let me think you can almost accomplish a level of quality near to the reference picture. So far it's far from that. One piece of advice, I know this is just a very early WIP, but for the future, don't compromise accuracy for speed. Take your time, but do it right. I want to see who this turns out. You have too really good mappers around here to help you, Moondog and Szico.

The textures on the windows could use some work. The big yellow stained glass looks like it has some stretching and it looks like your reference has more than two different window varieties :)

Like I said, the textures aren't done. I was focusing on the general shape of the room when I made it. I've since added eight varieties to the rectangle windows and eight to the squares.