seta sv_pure "0"
seta g_dismember "0"
seta g_saberLocking "0"
seta g_saberLockFactor "0"
seta g_allowDuelSuicide "1"
seta g_maxGameClients "32"
seta DMFLAGS "8"
map mp/ffa3

It could be caused by dmflags 8 (which disables fall damage)? I have no idea what you mean by "ghosting". Also show your complete jampserver.cfg so we know about all the saved cvars (taking out the rcon password of course!).

I'm pretty sure the OP means 'ghosting' as in 'I am certain my saber went through you but it did no damage, there is no such thing as a fixed time-step physics simulation, latency, or being plain wrong'

Hence, idiocy and not understanding causes ghosting.

The most effective method of reducing any visual inconsistencies (e.g. client simulating the saber's trajectory going through their opponent, but server not seeing the same data) is to increase your sv_fps to 40 or such.

I recommend using non-fractional frame-time (ft = 1000/sv_fps). Default is 40, 25 or 20 should be fine.

SP system has more advanced interpolation than the MP system, and doesn't suffer from low sv_fps as much. It has a totally different feel though.

If you're running at a high sv_fps and people are still complaining about ghosting, they should probably find something better to do with their lives.

The only difference as far as I can see is that I run my servers at default saber damage, and the other euro ones that people are used to have 0.5-0.8 for 'skill' reasons. Or that my server is quite large and their own fps gets too crappy for them to see much when it's full.

And yup it's that 'I saber u but u no die' complaints. Or 'wtf one normal red swing kills'.

Jampserver.cfg has jka default cvars. Anything I didn't put up there would be set to default...by default. XD

• 1 month later...

Funny how the complaints come from people who played on a Linux server THEN my Windows server. No difference except saber damage in the Linux server is reduced...

I'll raise the sv_fps to 30 and see what goes.

The only other thing I can think of is that there's misc bsps in the map itself which drops fps for those with crappier pcs. But I have the same complaints from a similar server that has no misc bsps.

We've noticed a similar phenomenon in OpenJK which was only experienced in Linux servers, so..

No, that bug was experienced in Windows servers too and does not affect whether or not you can hit someone, only if your saber can block incoming attacks. It's also extremely obvious when it does happen.

Server wise you should always check that your server running is in a decent way. You say you get 350 ping on your own server? Does it then occur to you that you maybe picked a wrong server host? Where do you host it? What service is it running? Nowadays, you can just run a JKA server on your own machine if you'd like, or ask somebody to run it for you (I got a friend who does that, because of an old spare pc) 

You should also consider the fact that running a server where your code  " seta sv_pure "0" " allows the player to use costum content and content that is not installed on the server. I bassically could mod a light saber that way and use it to smash your brains out in one blow (I loved that megatron hammer from Zelda, Ocarina of Time which a friend of mine modded a long time ago) A lot of costum content makes your server also unreliable, because we cant see what is used. We all see Kyle Katarn with a normal lightsaber if we dont own a certain skin and/or weapon, so often people inmideatly jump into the offense. Those are things you might also wanna take in reconsideration. What is allowed, and what is not. Next to that,

Reload maps also every so many hours (we do mostly 2 or 3 hours)  or do a server restart from time to time. Its like your own computer, if you keep it running 24/7 without reboot, your computer will at some point also suffer performance issue. The server's cache will eventually fill up and there is no way to dump it unless your reboot/reload/reset.

I'm part of an international clan and therefore we have EU and USA and Asian servers. I'm from Asia so I get 350 to a EU server. But the people complaining about blocks and ghosts are mainly Europeans in the EU servers. The current EU servers I have are from reputable game server hosts.

Custom sabers from clients don't work even if you have sv_pure 0. Unless the saber is in the server itself, which there are none in my servers.

Yup I do restarts before game server time hits 6000 minutes. Actual server gets restarted every 3 days.

Anyway I'm just gonna go back to ignoring the complaints. After all I have the reaffirmations from coders here that it's mainly clients themselves. Personally I think people ought to play more on higher ping servers...then perhaps they would moan about ghosting less.