PK3 put inside Base folder isn't being loaded (JKA)

Go to solution Solved by Maui,

Hey everyone!

I decided to try to mod JKA, after making many silly mods for Jedi Outcast.

My mod is a sound mod, which replaces Kyle's french voice.

I created a PK3 file, with winrar by creating a zip and renaming it. My folder structure is as follows:

kylemod.pk3-> sound-> chr_f-> kyle-> my files with the original name.

The issue is that after placing this file in base, Kyle still has his regular voice.

I can make it work if I create a folder in GameData, in which I put the PK3, and then I load the PK3 inside the game. But I'd like things to be more automatic than that!

I'm very unexperienced, sorry if this is an obvious problem, but thank you for your help !

Make sure the name of your pk3 comes alphabetically after assets6.pk3. If it's something like "alternatekyle.pk3", it will be overwritten by the original assets instead of the other way around.

1 hour ago, mrwonko said:

Make sure the name of your pk3 comes alphabetically after assets6.pk3. If it's something like "alternatekyle.pk3", it will be overwritten by the original assets instead of the other way around.

The pk3 is called kylevf.pk3, unfortunately I don't think that's the issue

Do you have anything else in your base folder that could be overwriting it? If it works in its own folder that is the only thing I can think of to cause the issue, unless the base folder isn't actually the base folder. Are the assets pk3 files in base? If using OpenJK or JAEnhanced it will actually have 2 base folders that you can try by default (Documents/My Games/)

On 3/18/2024 at 3:43 PM, Circa said:

Do you have anything else in your base folder that could be overwriting it? If it works in its own folder that is the only thing I can think of to cause the issue, unless the base folder isn't actually the base folder. Are the assets pk3 files in base? If using OpenJK or JAEnhanced it will actually have 2 base folders that you can try by default (Documents/My Games/)

image.png.9140e2e3207a7c3576e6751fb9a30dcc.png

This is what my base folder looks like in Program Files. I do have OpenJK in the folder but I'm not using it, I'm using the regular game executables.

Here's a link to the mod I want to make work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tFzItv_8xm0sigE_iPvudDTraxWHmNJG/view?usp=sharing

Since I haven't used JKA in a non-English language I'm not familiar with the "setlanguage.cfg" file. Is that created in the folder when you have it in its own folder too? Or just the base folder?

10 hours ago, Circa said:

Since I haven't used JKA in a non-English language I'm not familiar with the "setlanguage.cfg" file. Is that created in the folder when you have it in its own folder too? Or just the base folder?

That file comes in by default in the game and stays in the base folder, it doesn't appear when I make my own folder for the mod

3 minutes ago, TheFoxTrotte said:

image.png.cacffed9081b1d0a817afd1b1d83d8d1.png

So my immediate guess might be because this was a RAR file before you changed the file extension. Since you said before when you had it in your base folder not as a pk3 it worked.

What I propose as a solution is to repackage your mod as a ZIP file instead of a RAR, then change the file extension to pk3.

Hopefully that works. 

1 hour ago, Linken said:

So my immediate guess might be because this was a RAR file before you changed the file extension. Since you said before when you had it in your base folder not as a pk3 it worked.

What I propose as a solution is to repackage your mod as a ZIP file instead of a RAR, then change the file extension to pk3.

Hopefully that works. 

The pk3 is a zip I made with 7zip that I then renamed into a pk3

1 hour ago, TheFoxTrotte said:

This worked thanks a lot !

For some reason making a zip with 7zip and renaming it doesn't work but thiss does !!

Glad it helped! 👌🏼

On 4/1/2024 at 12:01 AM, TheFoxTrotte said:

For some reason making a zip with 7zip and renaming it doesn't work but thiss does !!

In principle, 7zip should also work, but you have to be careful not to create a .7z file, it has to be an old-school .zip.

But if Pakscape works for you, it's probably easier to simply stick to that.

Maui likes this