Is there a replacement for the Freelance cargo ships?

Hello All,

I've spent days searching high and low for a mod that swaps out the ugly Freelance cargo ship for almost anything else.  I've always hated the aesthetics of that ship, and at this point would be happy if it was swapped out with an oversized pink tricycle.

My search has thus far proven fruitless.

Are there any ship-swaps that would work out there that I don't know about?

Unlikely. Even if any ship replacement could do, the TC9 (the transports) are essentially built within the maps, with perhaps the exception of the one in t1_rail. I'm afraid swapping models wouldn't do much unless the maps are decompiled and the ships replaced, or remade from the ground up with new ships.

The only relatively doable workaround, if you hate the transports so much, is to replace the textures and shaders so they become invisible, but the shadows will persist, as if they were involved in a nuclear explosion. Also their spirits will still be there, and you'll have to acknowledge them by recognizing their solidity.

Jokes aside, that's about it for the transports: either keep them and suffer, or make them invisible, or remake the levels from the ground up so that none show up.

If you have a .MD3 of the ship you want to replace it with, you can replace the corresponding map object. The problem I've had is that scale is a variable I can't account for in that, lol. I replaced the transport you're talking about with my dagger fighter by saving a MD3 of the ship and textures as models/map_objects/imp_detention/transport.md3 and the same technique worked for the scow in Outcast.

I think the previous point about them not replacing it in certain maps would still hold true, but it'd be worth some experimentation.

swap3.JPG.b81fb33ccebb87c5d86fcf8e274374bb.JPGswap2.JPG.482137a0369670b8adfae617af846501.JPGswap1.JPG.481ca8e6d059b50341c853f8fead7398.JPG

Confirmed, it did not affect mp/ffa3.

krkarr likes this

Gah!  ZanderNao, your screenshots caused me to jump a bit in my seat.  

Ohhhhh to have a mega-mod that upgraded default JA with the best replacements possible!

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Ohhhhh to have a mega-mod that upgraded default JA with the best replacements possible!

Ah, but that is the holy grail that countless hundreds of modders have set out to find, lol. Thankfully Jedi Academy supports more manageable individual mods that build up to something epic.

I'm currently getting back into JK modding.

20 years ago, I used to contribute a lot.  ForceMod 3, I spent HOURS adjusting the height scales for all of the bots.  Came up with SFX for the weapons, and play tested it all like a fiend.

The last mod that I had contributed to was 18 years ago.  OJP.  When it was a baby and no one was playing it.  I did some testing of it before I had to walk away as my daughter was born.

I'm excited to dip my toes back into the modding scene.  I want to come up with a decent set of Reborns, lol.  We'll see what happens.

Jeff and ZanderNao like this
12 hours ago, Kyle said:

I'm currently getting back into JK modding.

20 years ago, I used to contribute a lot.  ForceMod 3, I spent HOURS adjusting the height scales for all of the bots.  Came up with SFX for the weapons, and play tested it all like a fiend.

The last mod that I had contributed to was 18 years ago.  OJP.  When it was a baby and no one was playing it.  I did some testing of it before I had to walk away as my daughter was born.

I'm excited to dip my toes back into the modding scene.  I want to come up with a decent set of Reborns, lol.  We'll see what happens.

I stand corrected! OJP was one of the most successful mega mods of all Jedi Academy history!

Welcome back to Jedi Academy! It certainly is the game that keeps on giving. I can't wait to see what you come up with! If you've got any practice with rigging, I have some models stuck in the pipeline to get into game, lol

On 2/18/2024 at 8:45 PM, Kyle said:

Hello All,

I've spent days searching high and low for a mod that swaps out the ugly Freelance cargo ship for almost anything else.  I've always hated the aesthetics of that ship, and at this point would be happy if it was swapped out with an oversized pink tricycle.

My search has thus far proven fruitless.

Are there any ship-swaps that would work out there that I don't know about?

This is possible, but the replacement ship would need to be very close to the merc ship design as it is used in many maps (FFA3 for example). If you found anything close in shape I could convert it to md3. If FFA3 is what you want changed I can put any ship in that (or no ship) as I have the map for it. Btw Forcemod 3 is just awesome still play it after all these years.

GamerRedNeck likes this
On 2/24/2024 at 9:00 AM, ZanderNao said:

I stand corrected! OJP was one of the most successful mega mods of all Jedi Academy history!

Welcome back to Jedi Academy! It certainly is the game that keeps on giving. I can't wait to see what you come up with! If you've got any practice with rigging, I have some models stuck in the pipeline to get into game, lol

I am happy to be "back."  However, my real life duties are going to keep my hands tied.  That said, I am in the midst of a multi-day combing of AI-generated sound files to try and replace the Reborn's annoying voices.  That's my first goal right there.  I've experimented with some skins as well.  We'll see what happens!

On 2/24/2024 at 10:52 PM, Jeff said:

This is possible, but the replacement ship would need to be very close to the merc ship design as it is used in many maps (FFA3 for example). If you found anything close in shape I could convert it to md3. If FFA3 is what you want changed I can put any ship in that (or no ship) as I have the map for it. Btw Forcemod 3 is just awesome still play it after all these years.

Thanks for the offer.  Honestly, the ship that's closest to me in terms of the transports very boxy appearance is the storm trooper assault boarding craft that I already mentioned.  The X-Wing Upgrade Project has a splendid update to it.  I can't imagine mercs and pirates just using it "as is."  They'd most certainly give it a new and more intimidating paint job.  

Thank you for the warm remarks for ForceMod 3.  Azymn did the lion's share of the work.  I was happy to help him out in the capacity that I did.  Its multiplayer game play, even against the bots, was an absolute joy that felt very true to the films.  

People really are clueless as to how much hard work is involved in modding.  A lot of it is just mind numbingly boring, but it requires absolute precision.  The HOURS I put into properly scaling the bots!  Crazy to think about it.  

Yeah, Azymn achieved something special with FM3.  No question.

Jeff likes this